Saturday 21 June 2008

Circular No 346






Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 21 June 2008. No.346

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

I have to inform all our ALUMNI readers that Pablo Castellani, ALUMNI, died this week, he resided in Maracaibo, Venezuela.

Now some emails on: Hippies from the Sixties‏

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: gevelyn1@bellsouth.net

Sent: Fri 2/08/08 3:01 PM

G#1, Glen

What was your laundry number again? I want to play it in the susu. And were you a Francis, Anthony or Lawrence? I want to gamble on the colour.

Glen G#2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From:,Glen Mckoy (mckoy43glen@hotmail.com)

Sent:,Fri 2/08/08 4:31 PM

Glen,

I do not really support gambling, however all is good in moderation I guess, Hudson was 103 and my dog tag number 201 I think, my house was Francis.

Talking about that, what kind of records did the mount keep, the dutch are good at keeping records, but the only thing is the records might be in Rome.

G#1 gone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: gevelyn1@bellsouth.net

Sent: Fri 2/08/08 7:18 PM

Would you believe I ran into one of those girls here in Ft Lauderdale.

Said she was in love with Frank Holmes.

Long black hair, sharp nails, high heels and dressed to kill.

After 1/2 hour talking in Spanish my wife said "OK the moon went out of that honey long ago."Time to go home."

What about Mr Julian and Mr Carter.

I used to slide the history book off the desk with a band and Mac would say "Leave it there it won't fall any further"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Nigel P. Boos

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 5:04:56 PM

Glen,

Thanks for the note. I have no problem with being called the List Maker, if that's how you see me. No problem at all. Godfather? - Naaah. Not for me. Reminds me of the Sicilian mob.

Of course, I intend to pass on the list to Ladislao as soon as I've completed it, and then maybe I'll just be unnecessary so far as this is concerned.

I'm glad to see that you guys are enjoying using it though, and hope that it will help to bring us all together as a group.

Best wishes.

Nigel

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

On 12-Feb-08, at 9:33 AM, Glen Mckoy wrote:

Nigel ( the Jungle) / Ladislao (the round table chats)(2) Jon / Glen / Che

Thank you very much, I will keep that in my drafts.

Now that am I here with you, I should ask , are you o.k, with title ,the List Maker ?? (Godfather?)

Any comments or questions you may have about whats happening ??

How do you feel ??

I hope the assignments of receiving membersproblems are rare??

I did not know where else to send it .

I did not choose to be in this position, I suddenly got this inspiration to write, also by the true working bees like yourselves, I felt the extra need to contribute in some way, I am looking forward to us having a wonderful year, of working together in making this year.

I AM PROUD TO BE A MOUNT BOY - that's as far as I got , so Help...where are we going.from here ??

I need some input , Jon / Glen ,( Che my brother in arms), feed back, feed back. now that I feel this bond with you gentlemen,

Faithfully yours

Glen McKoy...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

To:stumon@yahoo.com

Subject: Jungle Crossing

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 07:15:21 -0500

And you think you had it hard getting to school !!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From:mckoy43glen@hotmail.com

Subject: All About Arthur

Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 19:12:23 +0000

Hello Nigel,

I did not know he did so much so long ago, I will have to pass this information on to some of the guys of my time and this isthe first time I heard of OASIS very interesting.

I will try to contact Aurthur and say hello.

Thank you again for so much inform.

Glen...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From:nigelboos@yahoo.ca

Subject: All About Arthur

Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:10:27 -0500

Glen,

Many years before Ladislao began his mission of bringing the Old Boys of MSB together via the Internet and email, which is itself a fantastic project, ARTHUR KNAGGS, one of the original boys of the Abbey School, began a similar process and ran it successfully for many years.

Today, there is a new organisation set up called ASOBA (Abbey School Old Boys' Association), but Arthur's fore-runner was called OASIS (Overseas Abbey Students In Suspense, or something like that.) .

He would put together a number of foolscap sheets, onto which he had copied notes, letters, photographs, business cards, jokes, news items recipes, and so on, and he would make many copies of these sheets, whenever he found the time, and would mail them outen masse, to the MSB Old Boys who would each contribute, I think $10.00 per year, to cover the cost of stamps.

Arthur is probably now about 10 going on 73 but he's one of the nicest people you could meet.

His lovely family includes a bunch of great kids and grand-kids and his lovely wife, Valerie.

He's got a fun-loving and lively imagination to boot, and I would imagine that he'd find you, at age 51, a bit "old" for him.

I have not seen Arthur since 1975, but I get occasional news about him.

You should give him a shout. I'm sure he'd like to meet you.

Tell him I said so.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

FW: For the "Trinis" out there - Sweet, sweet T & T!!

Glen Mckoy

Friday, February 15, 2008 4:58:39 PM

Hello Arthur,

What a pleasure speaking with you Sir.

I am testing to see if this email goes well.

You are a true fountain of inspiration and hope to our group.

The first president, say no more.

Your number one fan Mr. Nigel Boos, I just got of the phone with him, the guy could not stop saying so many good things.

Well after speaking to you I felt a little old, your pure joy and excitement as we spoke about the mount.

The stories you started throwing at me, I will be coming to see you and Valerie, in a week or so as I am very busy at the moment with some things.

As time goes on, we will collect some of these wonderful stories, on paper from you.

I know with your meds. etc., it slows the thought pattern down a little, however with all the blessings from so many of us out there, you will regain your strength and memory, for our history my brother, if for any reason you need to call, a drive to the doctor, anything please call,

Best regards to you and all your family,

Glen Mckoy

(I got the following from David Castro, I think he's from your time??)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: thecalypsobandit@hotmail.com

Subject: FW: For the "Trinis" out there - Sweet, sweet T & T!!

Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:19:19 +0000

Hi,

Thought you might like reading this "the bandit" .

I need a LIME... a real TRINI lime, where people LIKE to play games, drinking games, or All Fours...

GOSH MAN!! I miss All Fours!! I can't even REMEMBER the last time I played All Fours! "Trump!" "Card to Board!" "Knock!" "Hang yuh JACK!" "Hi! Low! Jack! Game!"

If I hear another Domino tile slapped down I think I will lose it! heheh

I need to stop at a bakery and get a beef pie... NOT a beef PATTY, NOT a Jamaican Patty, a BEEF PIE....flaky pastry, spicy beef.... or a fried Greasy Pie from the little green shop on Tragarete Road that my Mum used to go to when she was young, then she took me to when I was young... the lady who made the pies passed away, and her husband took over and then when he got too old their daughter took over, or something to that effect.... YUM... $2.00 for fish or beef or potato in their greasy goodness.

I do NOT want to be running errands in the morning and have to resort to eating a pack of Combos because there's no doubles, man (slight peppah!).

I want bakeries to sell sausage rolls, and cheese or chicken puffs, beef pies... and not just jam tarts!

I want HOPS, not "salt bread" - fresh and hot!

Pulling out the soft middle and eating it on the way home 'cuz it's just toooo good to wait! Filling the crust with whatever and enjoying the crunchy goodness!

I want roti made at the side of the road by a Trinidadian Indian lady... And if i choose I would like some GOAT please!

If yuh doh have, that's ok, but I don't want to be looked at like "eh? Goat?!"

I want the rum shops near by, with the vagrant flipping his cigarette!

I want the lime while you're waiting... (I would even take the watching out the corner of your eyes for any potential vagabonds!)

oooooh I want a Maracas lime... I'd kill for a bake an' shark, with shandon beni, tamarind and maaaaangooooo!!!

And sit on the beach with sand in your teeth and eat it anyway!! Down it with an apple J! I want the sound of the waves... not the little farting sounds that the Bajan west coast makes...

The roaring, violent, passionate crash!! Waves so big you can barely make it over the top so that you don't lose your shades kinda big!

I miss the sand dollars though they're a rare find these days... the horror of feeling their prickles beneath your feet!!

The excitement of fishing one out and then releasing it back into the sea! The deep green sea... blue is so over-rated!

I miss watching the mountains and seeing the rain clouds approaching and staying in the water 'til the last, possible, moment before you rush out to save your towels, which get wet anyway, and yuh squeeze up under the life guard hut while it's like a hurricane around you!

All for about 10 minutes, then it's brilliant sunshine again and back into the water!

Oh gosh, I miss donkey eyes! How long it's been since I've seen one of them??? And how much fun we used to have sneaking those, rubbed til it's hot buggers, onto the skin of an unsuspecting friend or cousin!! And those coconut dolphins!! How cheesy and fun! Cyah forget the rhyming nuts man, and the jewelry man, and coconut man!

I miss SALT PRUNES... what I wouldn't give to find a nice, red, Chinese salt prune here today.

Turning your fingers, lips and tongue red... picking picking picking, saving the salt on your fingers for the very very last! The sweet taste as you drink some water afterwards!

Oh God, and a tamarind ball...spicy spicy and not overloaded with sugar!

Oh I miss a "Let's go for a drive around the Savannah!" Give me a roast corn or a boil corn on a evening!

I doh even really LIKE the oyster cocktail, but bring that on too!!

Oh, I remember playing in "the hollows" when we were small!! Rolling down those "oh so big" hills!

hahha! Good times! I'd love a coconut water right out the husk and then crack that sucker open for the jelly and eat it with a husk spoon! That's the best!

These bajan's doh understand that ambiance when they selling their coconuts on the side of their highway!

Oh gosh, but nothing beats a Mayaro coconut! Cyah ever forget the image of the "walking" coconut trees on the drive there... That's how u know you reach! And hearing the same ol' story of how the coconut trees came to be there: A ship full of coconuts sank and allll the coconuts washed up on Mayaro shore!

Man! I want a Mayaro lime!! Oh gosh, with its man-o-war and chip chip! Make some chip chip cocktail (Who cares if we ate the poo! haha) !

There's no better place to wake up than in a house on the beach in Mayaro! The CRASH of the waves you can hear so far inland! The howling of the never ceasing wind! I love spindly coconut trees crisscrossing over the beach, making great jungle gyms or lounge chairs, or exploration sites!

Oh gosh, doh get me started on Down de Islands! The smell of the water! The feel of the breeze on your face as you fly past Gasparee!

Waking up to the cool calmness around you, green green hills and deep dark water... full of history and mystery!!

Family, fun, games! Jumping off jetties! Exploring the islands! Total and absolute relaxation! Again: All Fours!!!

I miss it! I miss it! I MISS IT!!!!

I love you my sweet T&T!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Glen Mckoy

Thursday, March 13, 2008 6:20:19 AM

THE ABBEY SCHOOL (OLD BOYS PRIVATE CLUB) MOUNT SAINT BENEDICT (since 1912) TUNAPUNA, TRINIDAD & TOBAGO.

Hello / Hola/ To all my Brothers,

Its so good to see so many familiar names, attached to the Hippies from the sixties forum, in search of Intelligence.

The respect you give to your brothers, is the respect you will receive and more.

A true brother you can turn to, for an ear, on anything in life, the trust of a true friend is invaluable.

Our members comes from all walks of life.

What is said here, stays here.

That's why, this club is Private & Confidential.

We are real people, with real feelings.

We are not public.

What do know of the past old boys club?? Nothing , and that's how we want to keep it.

I must thank. all my brothers , who have enlisted to this site, from the introduction from another brother, as it is not that easy to be on this site.

We started with only the Hippies from the Sixties now in their fifties.

But now we can say, we have attracted a few brothers from other classes before and after us.

As we all took that flight from White Stones and spread our wings to the open yonder, and flew away.

Some 20, 30 , 40 years ago, on the journey of life.

Some are still flying.

The Hippies from the Sixties, some of us where lost for a long time, remember we grew up when, the whole world was changing, in every thing, different from any generation, had ever seen, especially freedom.

So after the drugs, booze, women and gambling and money, we eventually found ourselves, well the ones who are here I give the biggest respect, for just surviving.

In life so many things are not real, but we know the mount, and our lives there, was real.

The best memories of a Man, sometimes, are only the fond memories as a youth.

The brothers who have chosen to stay on this site, I believe are well rounded in their family, personal and business life, or working towards a better and happy and peaceful life.

We pray, for we all have all reached the age of maturity.

Most of our articles are to tease the mind to think, we know that some of our brothers are very intelligent men from all walks of life, so we had to keep their attention, with subjects that might appeal to their interest.

Other than that, we can be really stupid too, if given the chance, Ha! Ha!

I have so much to say, but a few things are in the works, so I better shout up for now, so many good things to come.

Thank you for the Roll Call Aziz, no reply needed from me, just keep your name on the list.

Your brother forever,

Glen Mckoy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Now to the photo section.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

74UN0001CLASS74, with corrections, I cannot believe that you guys have weak memory bank. Put on your lens and participate..

07GM0001GMACA, None other than Glen Mckoy

08UN0015ESMERALDA with corrections, added Ian Gomes.

08LK0022AFR, Andres Freytes, at dinner in Caracas.

08IG0945DINGRP, Dinner reunion during ESMERALDA´s visit to TT, Ali Yunas and Enrique Zanelli.

No comments: