Friday 17 October 2008

Circular No 363





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 17 October 2008 No. 363

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

OUR email addresses are:

Kertesz11@yahoo.com, is for West Indies ALUMNI and your PHOTOS.

Kertesz12@yahoo.com is for Circular Business, Change of address and REUNION NEWS.

Kertesz13@yahoo.com, is the email address for TT ALUMNI.

Kertesz11@gmail.com, is for USA and CANADA ALUMNI.

Kertesz12@gmail.com, is for the rest of the WORLD ALUMNI.

Kerteszven@hotmail.com, is for VENEZUELAN ALUMNI

A newcomer to the Circulars, Joseph Mekdessie, please write:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: jbam66@aol.com

Sent: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 7:49 pm

Hello Ladislao

My name is Joe Mekdessie, my brother and myself went to school at Mt St Benedict in the 50ths.

Raymond pasted away in 1989.

The reason I am e-mailing you after all these years I finally got hold of David and Delano de Castro.

I would like you to put me on your list as old boys of Mt St Benedict.

My address is:

3726 herald st

New Orleans, la 70131

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: BRIAN goddard (goddardbrian@hotmail.com)

Sent: Tue 9/30/08 10:32 AM

Hola Ladislao....and thanks for allowing me to see such a wonderful circular....

Uno de los circulares que mas me ha gustado...thank you all; quizas porque soy un soñador escritor a quien le fascina un cuento de ada!!

La dos personas en la foto de blanco y negro abajo son: Harley Day e Isaias Farcheg!!

Harley Day vive (o vivia aun hace 7 años) en St Petersburg, Florida.

Ees un tremendo artesano de instrumentos musicales de madera y equipos de sonido de ingeniería especializado!!

Thanks again for the wonderful Mt boy news letter and my best regards to all, Brian Goddard.

PS: I will be trying to make the T&T Mt boy reunion around the weekend of 7th of November but still haven´t had a response fm my message to Christopher Knowles!?

Brian Goddard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 15:44:57 -0800 (PST)

From: "Attila GYURIS"

Subject: Is Ladislao OK?

Hi Don:

No, I haven't received anything either and I am beginning to wonder why myself.

I wrote about it to Andres Larsen (another old boy colleague from MSB) who lives in Caracas. He hadn't been receiving any of the circulars either. He said he would find out.

Attila

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: "Don Mitchell CBE QC"

Subject: Retirement

Date: Tue, 7 Nov 21:31:20 -0400

Hi Attila,

Thanks.

Do you have any idea why we are no longer hearing from Ladislao?

The last Circular was one in September, none in October, and Ladislao is not answering my emails!

That is very unusual. I am becoming concerned that he is not well.

Copying this to him so that he can reassure us that he is OK.

Don

----------------------------------------------------------------------.

61UN0002CLASS61_class1961_s254.jpg

"Don Mitchell, QC"

Tuesday, May 1, 7:34:25 AM

Hi Ladislao,

Stuart is right.

There are several other errors in the naming of the photo.

I am in Cayman at the moment with no access to my collection of photos.

Stuart, could you look again at the names?

It should be obvious what the errors are.

If you email them to Ladislao I am sure he will be able to correct the original photo.

I will also add the correction to "comments" on the photo on the Blog.

Easy as it is, not sufficient numbers of us appear to know how to register a comment on the Blog, I regret to say.

Don

-----------------------------------------------------------------------.

Don Mitchell CBE QC

Friday, June 1, 8:22:58 AM

Hi Tony,

All is well.

I have been getting the circulars from Ladislao and posting them on the website http://abbeyschool2007.blogspot.com/.

He has not been as regular as previously, due to the pressure of work, but is catching up.

If you have not been receiving the Circulars, you may have accidentally dropped off his mailing list.

So, I am copying this to him for him to check he has your address in his system.

My latest passion is at the link below!

I have subscribed to your posts, and enjoy reading them.

Keep well.

Don

---------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Don Mitchell CBE QC

Saturday, January 19, 2008 11:21:39 AM

Hi Tony,

Don't forget, if you ever stop getting the Circulars, if they exist they are up on the website, usually on the same day they are sent out by Ladislao.

The latest one, No 324, sent out today, is already up on the website: http://abbeyschool2008circulars.blogspot.com/

You can access all the missing ones from the right-hand panel by clicking on the year you want, and then on the individual Circular Number in the right hand panel.

Any photos that you want to see a better view of, just right-click on it, and when the drop-down menu appears, select, "Open link in new tab".

That way, you can continue reading the Circular while the picture opens in a new tab, and you can view the picture at your convenience.

Keep well.

Don

--------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Don Mitchell CBE QC

Sunday, August 17, 2008 9:58:23 PM

Hi Ladislao,

Received and posted to the Blog.

Not to worry about photos.

No one sends me any photos for posting to the Blog.

There are only one or two comments over the past several years.

I have been hoping people will go on the Blog and learn how to post comments on your Circulars, in particular the photographs.

But, no luck.

Keep well.

Don

---------------------------------------------------------------------------.--

Traffic report for Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Don Mitchell CBE QC

Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:03:16 AM

You may be interested to see that we get an average of nine visitors per day to the 2008 Circulars.

The detailed statistics are below.

Don

------------------------------------------------

-- Site Summary ---

Visits Total ........................ 1,252

Average per Day ................. 9

Average Visit Length ......,,... 6:45

This Week ........................... 60

Page Views

Total .................................... 2,882

Average per Day ................. 17

Average per Visit ................. 2.0

This Week .......................... 120

-------------------------------------------------------.

FW: the bandit caribana 2008 re send

david decastro

Saturday, August 16, 2008 4:40:13 PM

DSC_042804722008-08-02.jpg (335KB)

Hi, playing mas in toronto with a dislocated shoulder.

Fell and it jumped out the soccet the day after I arrived playing soccer with my grand son and fell]

Ah go stop when a dead---by the way I was the youngest boy to go to mount in 1944.

I was 8 yrs old my name is Dave de Castro & my brother is Delano de Castro and I remember all those names trevor called--by the way Colin Phillips passed away last month.

Regards

"the bandit"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: Luciano Mellone (mellalugi@cantv.net)

Sent: Fri 10/03/08 8:37 PM To: laszlo kertesz (kerteszven@hotmail.com)

Buenas noches Sr Laszlo !!!!!!!!!!!!

Agradecido por este correo ya que tenia muchas ganas de saber de Mr Macintosh.

Le llame por telefono ya que el fue uno de mis profesores y fue mi entrenador en lo concerniente a la marcha olimpica con lo cual gane muchos trofeos e inclusive un campeonato nacional en Trinidad.

El me informo que por favor le pidiera a Ud me facilitara el E-Mail que actualmente el utiliza.

Agradecido y en espera de su respuesta

Saludos

Abbey for ever

Luciano mellone

----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

tevelyn

Friday, October 24, 2008 1:24:15 PM

Nigel

Got your email with invitation to Reunion.

As much as I would love to attend I do not fly any more.

I would love to see some pictures of the school and church, If you happen to get any.

I still have wonderful memories of the 5 years I spent at the Mount

Today all the woodwork etc. I do is still all the things taught me every Saturday, morning by FR. Ildefonse.

Well my friend talk to you soon

Regards

Trevor E.

1945 to 1949

------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

tevelyn

Saturday, November 1, 2008 12:28:04 PM

Ladislao,

Thank you for sending the invitation for the reunion but as much as it would be wonderful to attend as one of the nearly first students at MSB, to see all the new stuff that was not there in 1949 when I left.

If any one has good pictures of the Mount I would love to see them.

Thanks for all you have sent me I still say that the 5 years spent at the Mount were some of the best years of my life.

The Saturday morning classes by Fr. Ildefonse on wood working still carries me through today.

I have helped my son in law nearly rebuild his cottage up north.

Well my friend again thanks

Regards

Trevor E.

1945-1949

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

That is for now, till the next one

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photos

08UN0001DDECARIBANA, David De Castro in Toronto.

57IF0002IFAHDA, Harley Day and Isaias Farcheg.

04BG2146BGOORI, Brian Goddard being asked if he is OK.

01DM095STBEDE, The iron works of St. BEDE hall.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recognise that photo of the New Refectory being built. I do not know what the numbers "01DM" that Ladislao has given it mean. I believe it should be something like "LK57". I'll tell you why.

I never had a camera at school, and never belonged to the Photography Club. The "dark room" was downstairs the Small Boys Dorm. I used to hang around because I was interested in the chemical smells and processes in the dark room. I seem to recall Ladislao taking this photograph and developing it in about 1957. As I recall, for years I had a poorly developed copy of this photograph in my collection, though I have not seen it for many years now.

Did you take the photograph, Ladislao? Or, did someone with the initials "DM" do so?

Don