Saturday 8 November 2008

Circular No 366





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 8 November 2008 No. 366

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

Story on Antonio Scannone and Raul Leoni

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan Koenraadt

Sunday, July 6, 2008 6:19:14 PM

Che Che!

Very nice you remember Antonio Scanone so well.

He came new in Form II, and had a beautiful and amazing character to me.

He was fat and being new, the "wicked" boys teased him all the time.

He took it very well, but the teasing kept going on.

So one day he made a public appeal in such a nice way that it touched the "wicked" boys.

If you can't beat them join them.

That´s what he did and joined the "wicked" gang of the class.

From then on the teasing stopped.

One time he chose to go swimming.

He looked at the water, na, I'm not going to do breast crawl.

I want to do the butterfly.

Are you allowed to do the butterfly? And so he started doing the butterfly.

After about two years he became the champ in butterfly.

Being fat was no problem to him, it only shook the water well as he jumped.

Boy he could do the butterfly well, smooth like a dolphin and fast.

Don´t know where he is now.

Much greetings and thanks for all the pictures of you in the circulars about your visit to MSB and so.

Jan Koenraadt

----- Original Message ------------------------------------------------------------

From: Rafael Echeverría

Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2008 2:02 PM

What an extraordinary Photo Attila !!! ... you brought so many memories of faces, names and events .....

At last I have seen Antonio Scanone again !!! ...

Panamerican Champ in Butterfly Style, remember ??? ....

I had been looking for him for years in all Mount Photos ... but now - thanks to Fr. Benedict ("woosh") and you - we have his face again. Antonio does not look as fat as I had remembered him.

He was such a great person, noble and kind and a great sense of humor.

I am honored to have had him as a close friend during my Mount years.

Take care Attila !!!

CheChe

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 1:37 AM,

Attila GYURIS <gyuris@yahoo.com> wrote:

Re: Photos from the Mount 3

Rafael Echeverría

Sunday, July 6, 2008 7:15:48 PM

Dearest Attila and Jan,

My God ... you guys are the purest Mount Boys I have ever met .... ( hey !!! .... honorable reference is also made to guys like Ladislao , Nigel, Don MItchell and Dennis Gurley ... HAHAHAHAH .... )

When I think I have seen it all with Mount, you guys come with new things bringing me back such great memories I had forgotten.

Faces and places and events of the daily life of being a Mount Boy.

The photograph of the Tug of War with Attila screaming at Farrah IS A JEWELL !!!

The image of Antonio Scanone made my eyes wet.

He was such a great and noble person.

I enjoyed Attila's comments about Antonio smoking. yes .. I remember that ... I also told him many times that as a swimmer he should not smoke.

Gosh .... that guy being so fat he went through the water like a DOLPHIN as Jan puts it so well.

You know Jan ... just a couple of months ago .. after sooooo many years .....

I was informed that Antonio passed away, some years ago.

I was also looking for him and I saw in Nigel's list that Antonio was refereed as "deceased".

That broke my heart.

Can you guys verify this ????

Please let me know .... I LOVE YOU ALL !!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------.

Re: Photos from the Mount 3

Jan Koenraadt

Monday, July 7, 2008 8:25:27 AM

Dear Rafael,

Thank you very much for your kind remarks.

You are giving me red ears with those high honors.

We used to be old buddies in those days.

Only through the circulars we found each other back through Internet living half way around the world from each other.

When I mail, he sleeps, when he mails, I sleep. Ha ha!

Yes, this tug of war picture gives a clear cut of the excitement, a front page picture!

Very sad to hear that Antonio passed away.

Indeed I saw it in the database of Nigel, but there were so many names.

I always had good memories of him.

I have no contacts with people who know Antonio, you are the first to reply on him to me.

When in sport competition you always look at the other guys, are they better than you, and how they do it.

Antonio was way up my level in swimming.

He performed the art of butterfly swimming very well.

Much greetings and thank you for loving us! It is the same over here!

Jan Koenraadt

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Re: Updated MSB class picture of Form 2 1965-1966

raul leoni

Sunday, July 6, 2008 7:54:18 PM

This is my class but there are a few guys missing including myself, Josh Shoemaker and Gonzalo Montiel, may be a some others.

Regards

Raul Leoni

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Photos of a reunion, after 41 years, of former Mount boys Raul Leoni, Attila Gyuris, and Rafael Echeverria

Attila GYURIS

Monday, July 14, 2008 12:04:45 AM

Download All | Leoni and Echeverria 1.JPG (557KB); Leoni and Echeverria 2.JPG (563KB); Leoni, Gyuris and Echeverria.JPG (613KB); Rafael Echeverria.JPG (577KB); Raul Leoni.JPG (496KB)

Photos of a reunion, after 41 years, of former Mount boys Raul Leoni, Attila Gyuris, and Rafael Echeverria in Aventura, Florida, USA in Jun 7, 2008.

Attila Gyuris

-----------------------------------------------------------------------.

RE: Photos of a reunion, after 41 years, of former Mount boys Raul Leoni, Attila Gyuris, and Rafael Echeverria

Alfredo Montiel Bezara

Monday, July 14, 2008 1:09:17 PM

Attilas / Raúl / Che Che,

Grata sorpresa de verlos en estas fotos tan nítidas !!!

Un fuerte abrazo,

Alfredo Montiel Bezara'

MSB 1967- 1972

C.C. Gonzalo Montiel Bezara

MSB 1966 / 1970

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

RE: Photos from the Mount 3

oscar cantore

Monday, July 7, 2008 2:21:38 PM

Se llama Reinaldo Piccoli…..No e sabido nada de el en 40 anos.

Saludos a todos

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: Attila GYURIS [mailto:gyuris@yahoo.com]

Sent: Domingo, 06 de Julio de 2008 05:52 p.m.

Cheche:

You are welcome. Glad to have made your day!

Yes I remember Antonio Scannone very well.

Great and powerful swimmer.

Also remember that he was a smoker, which, sadly I think, eventually dashed his hopes of continuing in the swimming competitions.

He left the Mount before getting to Form 5.

Another guy I am trying to locate is "Piccoli Beretta". Remember him?

I forget his first name.

He was at the Mount for a short while also, around the same time as Raul Leoni was there.

Attila Gyuris

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
--- On Sun, 7/6/08, Rafael Echeverría <reglaw@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Rafael Echeverría
Date: Sunday, July 6, 2008, 5:02 AM

What an extraordinary Photo Attila !!! ... you brought so many memories of faces, names and events .....

At last I have seen Antonio Scanone again !!! ... Panamerican Champ in Butterfly Style, remember ??? .... I had been looking for him for years in all Mount Photos ... but now - thanks to Fr. Benedict ("woosh") and you - we have his face again.

Antonio does not look as fat as I had remembered him.

He was such a great person, noble and kind and a great sense of humor.

I am honored to have had him as a close friend during my Mount years.

Take care Attila !!!

CheChe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: Rafael Echeverría

Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 6:54 PM

Subject: Re: MSB Circulars !!!

Thank you Don !!!

You are right. I had completely forgotten about that.

Thank you so much for your prompt response and support.

I am writing some chronicles on "the life of the Mount Boys ".

Dennis and yourself have already made "stellar appearances" and there are still more to come. (HA!)

I am only starting really.

You won't believe what a great time I am having "going back in time" and feeling as being in Mount again.

A bit of fiction but all inspired in true events, places and individuals.

You and Dennis must be filled with anecdotes and stories.

Please send me any notes, old Mount photos, or anecdotes you feel I should include.

Finding you guys - again after 40 years - has meant a lot to me.

I am not exaggerating even though I admit I may sound a bit "dramatic".

But it's true. It was so good.

I keep looking at the photos of the night at Dennis' home during the cocktail arranged by Mary for all of us.

What an incredible moment.

We must meet again sometime.

Remember you have a brother here !

Thanks again Don !

Blessings !

Siempre Amigo !

Rafael / CheChe

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 11:02:33 -0400

From: "Rafael Echeverría"

Che Che,

I know that I know you but I can't place the name to the face!!!...

can you please send a photo?.....

Don't know if you remember me as a day boy..

all the best,

Howard Ho

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

TO HOWARD HO .... THE MOST IMPORTANT THING .... THE ENDLESS BLESSING

Hi Howard ...

I must say I don't quite remember your name and face either... however... it's incredible how many Mount Boys one apparently "forgets", ... but when you see his picture then his face comes to your head at once and then the name afterwards if one is lucky enough to match both ends.

It's incredible isn't it.

It's incredible how Mount Boys one remembers ... well .... they just don't remember you ... one feels some sort of frustration.

I have seen lately many mails from a Mount Boy by the name of Atila ... (can't recall his last name right now I believe is Attila Gyuris I think .... I hope I 'm right) who describes incredible anecdotes and mentions Venezuelan friends, such as Enrique Gomez for example.

It so happens that Enrique Gomez attended Mount (together with Raul Leoni Jr. son of the Venezuelan President) precisely because my father Rafael Echeverria was the Venezuelan Ambassador in Trinidad at the time.

Enrique played the drums at a band I formed with Norman Smith (called Chains), my brother Gustavo Echeverria played the guitar (who everybody also called CheChe) and myself played the bass.

I can remember vividly the times of presentations an the Hall .... of our band ....and The Interpreters whose leaders were John Abraham and Jeremy or Geramy ... or Jeramy ... De Barry... great guy !!!!! .... who taught Norman and me how to play the guitar.

We were Beatles' freeks so we formed the band and lived in heaven.

I don't have at hand an actual photo but I am sending you my resume so that you have an idea of what my life has been.

I appear in a photo of the class of 1964 ...

I am on the extreme top left of the photograph ... standing looking at the rest of guys.

I was always teased for my resemblance to Russel Cuhna.... I hope his name rings a bell to you .

We resembled each other so much that there is this anecdote that once my OWN MOTHER went up to Mount to visit me & my brother Gustavo and she went straight to Russel to give him a kiss ... "hola mi amor ... Rafito hijo mio .... Dios te Bendiga" .. and Russel jumped away in terror with his hands opened as wide as his eyes and said ... trying to speak spanish (you know Tarzan style) ... "No Madam ... me no Rafito ... me Russel ... me no CheChe" ... my mother .. at her 87 years .... still remembers that anecdote and laughs her guts out ...

So Howard ... if we don;t remember each other is not as important as THE MOST IMPORTANT THING which is knowing that we both experienced that wonderful moment .... blessed moments in life ......of being MOUNT BOYS . . that's all that really matters ... and I feel sooooooo proud of you all ... it's incredible how much I love those years and how much they left in the hearts of all of us.

I am sure I would remember you as soon as I see you.

I have so many memories ... and admire so much the work that Ladislao Kertez and Don Mitchell have done.

GOD bless them for all the good.

I remember Bernard D'Abadie distinctly ... I believe I have seen his email address somewhere.

Richard Anderson. Peter Laughlin. Norman Smith ... the Stein Borthers ... Michael and Paul .. with whom I got recenly in touch... and so many others ... a whole world of friendship and good memories.

Ho Koon ,,, he was the one who created the CheChe nickname and made it so popular in Mount ... him and Baby Joe ... the Tang brothers ... The Andersons ... The De Vertuils... Dennis Gurley ... a great friend .... and I remember each of them with their own "way of being" ... their own personalities ... so different all of them ... so unique .

Gooooooshhhh ... they are so many I just cannot hold them in one message ... as faces and names come .. even more start to appear .. it's an endless blessing.

WE ARE ENDLESSLY BLESSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Un Abrazo Howard ... Siempre Amigo ..

Rafael Echeverria

CheChe

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

That is for now, till the next one

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photos:

57CJ0001CJARFI, Csaba Jakobszen and Ricardo Figuera.

08AG0001AGYGRP, Attila Gyuris, Raul Leoni and Rafael Echeverria.

08AG0002RLEREC, Raul Leoni and Rafeal Echeverria

59NB0003GRP, A photo by Nigel Boos lots of UNKNOWNS.













No comments: