Saturday 19 January 2008

Circular No 324





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 19 January 2008, No. 324

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

News from Stanley Achong.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 1:39:14 PM

Stanley Achong / Class 1964 - 1969: My visit to MSB

Hi All:

Greetings from the Cold North!

Just returned from an extremely hectic vacation.

Visited Mount on Friday 9th November upon my arrival off Sun Princess ship.

As expected, my visit went very well and at times quite emotional.

Fr. Cuthbert really has not changed and had lots of stories to tell.

We were happy that he was able to see us since he was not well the week prior.

Everything at MSB looked exactly as it did when I left and it brought back many memories of my younger days at school.

I remembered taking those cold showers in the morning just off the basket ball court (smile).

The school is of course now a Drug rehab centre and the Cafeteria and Hall still in very good shape.

We also visited the facility where Pax Yogurt was manufactured but were not able to see it in operation since it was Dewali holiday.

The business seem to be doing very well for them and it is unfortunate that they were not able to keep the honey business running.

My visit to Trinidad was very brief and we are already planning another visit sometime next year.

Hope we can meet on my next visit.

Take care guys.....

Stan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Upcoming Visit to Trinidad by Stanley Achong from Canada...

Thursday, October 25, 2007 4:03:08 PM

Achong <hanlan@pathcom.com> wrote:

Dear Fr Cuthbert:

Greetings from Toronto , Canada .

My name is Stanley (Achong) and I attended Mt St Benedict School during the period of 1964-69.

Quite recently, I was able to connect with Andres Larsen, Attila Gyuris and Michael D’Ornellas via the Internet and learnt that the “Old Boys Association” was alive and well with so many members from my precious past.

I am very happy to hear that you are still at the Abbey and have heard good things about the great yogurt you are making (smile).

I have been in Canada since 1975 and this is my first trip to Trinidad in over 25yrs.

My sister Diane and family still reside in Trinidad and Mom and Dad still spend the winter months with them.

Since my departure from Trinidad , I have been through many journeys in my life and the one most memorable to me will always be my days at Mount St. Benedict.

Pictures I received from the members have been very helpful to me in reconnecting the names with the faces. I am very happy and fortunate to have made contact with Andres, Attila, Michael and the rest of the gang.

This coming Friday 26th, I will be going on a two week cruise out of Barbados and hope to be in Trinidad on the 9th of November for a brief 3-day visit.

I would like to make a trip to Mount St. Benedict and if possible to meet with you. Since I am totally unfamiliar with the surroundings, your suggestions regarding time and locations would be helpful.

Keep well and hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards, Stan

P.S. Belated birthday greetings to Ms Marcus.

Stanley & Judith Achong

45 Supino Crescent

Brampton

Ontario L6P 1X3

Canada

Tel: 905-790-0101 (Home)

905-264-7278 (Work)

hanlan@pathcom.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Re: Does anyone remember a Dutch classmate of ours with the surname Polderman ?

I don't recall his first name....

Attila GYURIS ...

Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:23:20 PM

Yes, I do.

His first name was Rudi.

Rudi Polderman.

He was one of the better swimmers in the Aqualads.

Attila

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Rudi Polderman...

Attila GYURIS ...

Monday, November 26, 2007 12:32:56 PM

Hi Andres:

Thanks.

The reason I remember him so well is because he helped me with some English-into-Dutch translations of some of my letters to a pretty Dutch girl.

It so happened that I fell in love with a pretty little Dutch girl at the St. Joseph's Girls Academy down the hill (remember when they would come up to the Mount for our functions and dance parties?).

Anyway, ...I became pen-pals with her and Rudi Polderman would help me translate my letters into Dutch because her English was a bit weak.

If I remember correctly, Rudi wasn't at the Mount for very long.

Perhaps 2-3 years at best, towards the second half of the 60's?

Yes I could, but no, he is not in any of the photos I have seen so far.

Unfortunately, there are few pictures from the latter part of the 1960s onwards.

And, almost none from the 70s and 80s. Such a shame.

Attila Gyuris

MSB 1964-1969.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Re: Would you be able to identify Rudi Polderman in any class snapshots ?...

Attila GYURIS ...

Monday, November 26, 2007 8:50:57 PM

Andres Larsen <andres_larsen@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Attila:

Would you be able to identity Rudi Polderman in any of the various class photographs Laszlo has in his collection ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Re: Re. Circular No....

Tony Vieira ...

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 6:24:36 AM

Hi Ladislao,

My responses are below in red next to the questions.

Dear Tony

No the circulars are flowing. the last one i got was 286!

We have sent out no.318 Saturday. I didn't get it.

Are you not getting them??? No I am not getting them.

Tell me the numbers and I shall send them to you. since 286!

How are things in Guyana??. worse than Venezuela you only now have Hugo Chavez, we had our Hugo Chavez since 1966 so we are mired deeper in the mess than you are, we are now recognised as one of the poorest countries on the planet.But the one good thing is that his recent defeat may temper his excesses but Burnham was never tempered and so we will never progress as a nation, his 1980 constitution, the constitution of a dictator keeps us in subjugation. it allows for an elected dictatorship, which even after Burnham died in 1985 continues to this day.

Have you visited Bartica?? Yes i was there about three weeks ago actually its getting bigger all the time there are a substantial Brazilian population there now, Brazil does not allow individuals seeking for gold, but we do; so the galimpeiros [not sure that i spelled that right] from Brazil are flooding the place here. One of my favourite places to have lunch when i am in the city is the Brazilian restaurant.

Any new photos? Not of the river, are you interested in anything else? recently this guy i know was crop dusting [you can see the wing of the plane] and took this aerial photo of my television broadcast operation here at Versailles.

What is your news page so that I may include its address in the Circular. www.tonyvguy.com

Any cleaning before Xmas?? You remember that from the commentary? that's incredible! sure Jewel [my wife] is cleaning the place but this time i hired a crew.

God bless. You too, Ladislao, be blessed.

Ladislao

(I might visit you to take a trip up the river with your yacht or boat. Ed)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Tony Vieira tandjv@networksgy.com

To: ladislao kertesz kertesz12@yahoo.com

Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 4:34:11 PM

Have the circulars stopped?

Tony Vieira

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

No, the Circulars have not stopped. All the problem lies on my loosing sometimes the addresses in my servers. In the case of Tony, he is in Kertesz11@yahoo.com. (Ed.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photos:

07TV0001TVIHOME, Home of the TV entrepreneur.

07SA0228SAFCU, Stanley Achong and Fr. Cutchbert

07AS0226EDIMSB, entrance on the left side of the church.

07SA0223SAC, cross roads sign

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

mptothill said...

Rudi Polderman currently lives in Louisiana. He is my son's father and, he went to your school before moving to Texas.