Sunday 10 February 2008

Circular No 327





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 10 February 2008, No. 327
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

For a change we have an article on SCOUTING.

...Camp on the river.
Norman Smith ...

Monday, October 22, 2007 10:21:11 PM

Hola Ladislao,

One of the things that has left a great imprint on me from my time at Mount was constructing with Bamboo (Guadua Bambusa) and rope and cutlass (machete).

Having been a part of the construction of this campsite was an awesome experience I have talked about for years.

I have described these incredible structures in great detail.

Now with these photos I can prove it was not all in my head.

The guy that looks about to throw a stone looks like Jeremy de Barry.

That is probably his guitar hanging in front of the "upstairs" tent in the other photo.

It was maybe 1964?

It was in Trinidad... close to an incredible waterfall called Blue Basin.

I think I am the guy with the white shirt working on the second floor (the back is toward the camera, but I recognise the body position which looks identical of a foto taken of me, in my house in Medellin, when I was sitting on the floor in the same position fixing a table.

I wonder if there are more photos of this camping trip.

I am very sad that I will be unable to come to the 07 reunion.

I know that Rafael "Cheche" Echeverria will be there and I will get to see photos and news from this great blast from the past.

I look forward to being there in 08.

Un abrazo,

Norman Smith

Key Biscayne, FL
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Edward Watson <edward.watson@perfectpower.co.tt>
Sent: Tue, 6 Dec 08:48:53 -0400

Dear Ladislao,

I am one of the guilty ones that have been enjoying the Circular but have not written, but a couple of words to tell you so.

I was so thrilled to get a picture of "The Interpreters"

The original band with Johnny Abraham, Lead Guitar, Jeremy De Barry, Guitar, Gerard Anderson, Drums, Norman Smith, "Home made Bass Guitar" and myself Edward Watson played the bongo drums.

Che Che, Jeffery Camacho and Richard Anderson then came in some time soon after.

I remember some great sessions at Che Che’s house on Rapsey Street St Clair, Port of Spain, don't know how his parents put up with us.

I do run into "Bram" Johnny Abraham every now and again and I saw Jeffery Camacho, whom, I had not seen for years, a couple of months ago.

Lost touch with the rest of the crew, I heard Richard Anderson has a very successful landscaping business in Florida.

I also would like to make contact with the guys.

Please send out another photo of the band as the one I had was deleted in error.

My time at Mount was short but interesting and perhaps I might be remembered to you all as one of the Guys "Frankie Ambard and myself" that went awol over the hills and were brought back(recaptured ) by Edward Lloyd, great friend.

What a thing .

Well just wanted to say, great job keeping all in touch and wish everyone a Merry Christmas and God's great blessings to ALL

Edward Watson

Perfect Power Protection Ltd
19 Marli St
Port of Spain

Trinidad
868-628-5660 Office
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Edward Watson ...
Monday, August 27, 2007 10:08:55 AM

Hi Ladislao,

So good to see the guys and their families. Has any one been in touch with “Bram” Johnny Abraham, no email address?

Jeremy Du Barry, tobagojo@trinidad.net,

Gerard Anderson, no email address

Norman Smith, nsmith@filmsmith.net

and Myself Ed Watson the original “Interpreters”.

I always remember Norman and his “home made” Base guitar and the jam sessions and the Echeverria home on Wainwright Street in St Clair.

Greetings to Che Che and family.

Edward Watson
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
Edward Watson ...
Thursday, January 3, 2008 4:36:53 AM

Dear Ladislao,

Douglas Watson is my brother but I can’t get him to use a computer on a consistent enough basis for email.

I see Richard Clarke, Phillip de Pass in the area quite often.

Humphrey Hokoon I haven’t seen in many years he used to fly for the National Airline will try to locate him.

Haven’t seen Gerard Anderson since a couple of years after I left school. I’ll make some inquiries and get back to you.

As for the rest of guys, I don’t recognise the names.

Ed
-------------------------------------------------------------.
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 9:07 PM
To: Edward Watson

Dear Edward,

Corrections have been made, thanks.

Is DOUGLAS WATSON part of your clan??

I have an Anthony Seheult as your classmate graduating in1964 but lost contact with him (868) 632 4243.

Also these: Philip de Pass (868) 637 7083.
Dr. Richard Clarke (868) 632 4457 (868) 665 4165

Gerald Anderson (wanted healthy and alive.)

George Fimian (wanted healthy and alive.)

Hokoon, Humphrey (wanted healthy and alive.)

Teelucksingh, Keith (wanted healthy and alive.)

Kong Ting, Kenneth (wanted healthy and alive.)

Are really your classmates???

Are they alive??

Can you call the first two and ask them information so that I may send them the Circular??

Thank you before hand for your help in finding your classmates.

Hope to travel this year to TT, if budget permits since Chavez is not allowing us to buy foreign exchange.

God bless and a happy new year 2008

Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Circular No. 245, The Abbey School MSB
Edward Watson

Hi Ladislao,

The photo of Paul Tadros brings a smile to my face. What a character we called him “Extra Tooth” or “the Camel”.

I remember him in the refectory one day complaining about the food and as soon as he was let out he went to the kitchen and loudly summoned the lady in charge. Miss Sup Hoi. “I don’t mind you giving us the horse but when you throw in the saddle, I can’t handle that.

He was promptly reported and banned from refectory for two weeks. So we had to feed him with Mount Sweet drink and raisin buns.

What a character

Cheers

Edward Watson 1961-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Jean De Meillac ...

Thursday, January 3, 2008 9:46:27 AM

Ladislao,

I left Mount in 59 and went to Ireland where I graduated in 63. Nowadays I do lime here in Trinidad with Mike Herrera, Roger Henderson and many of the old boys including Pud Laquis.

Will send more when I have time

jeansie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 8:46 PM
To: Jean De Meillac

Dear Jean,

Thanks, I made the necessary corrections.

How about your neighbours, ALUMNI??

Can you write a two liner on each of those that leave close by your place??

Do you see them often??

I am making corrections to the listing and I do not want to miss any of them.

I lost the names of the ones that you mentioned some years back.

You never mentioned the names of your classmates that would have graduated in 1963.

God Bless and Happy New Year 2008 with lots of health

Ladislao
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
De: Roberto Lipavsky [jurislipavsky@cantv.net]

Fecha: 03/12/2007 09:14:41

Dear Friends:

Sometimes things don't work out the way we expected.

Lack of health (" too f.... old ", as Isaias Farcheg would put it) was the main reason for my absence at the Mount Boys dinners 22/27th Nov.-

On the other hand, even though we live in the same country, when you reside here on Margarita Island, you sort of live in another country abroad, among other reasons, in this period of the year it is easier to get a flight to and from any other place, than from this island to Caracas and back.-

Nevertheless I want to congratulate you again Ladislao for the wonderful work, time and effort that you have given to this programs can be useful:

(both Old Mount Boys with whom I had dinner in Pampatar some months back) :

DAVID BAIN (who lives in Pampatar) 0416-661.61.01 ; 0414-563.17.43

BRIAN GODDARD (who came to visit) 0416- 647.99.70.

Kind regards

Roberto Lipavsky (alias "pelo") class 1958.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Brian Lewis brian@aclaworks.com
Sent: Fri, 18 Aug 07:41:20 -0400

Ladislao,

Yes, I do get the newsletters from time to time [certainly not weekly] and appreciate the effort being made to connect old boys.

Unfortunately I have little time to read and respond to all the stuff I get by e-mail - my apologies!

You will appreciate that architects get extremely busy in a construction boom and then have to last sometimes for twenty years on the proceeds.

Since this is my last twenty I have to make the most of this boom!

It was good to hear that Peter Lauglin has done so well.

In response to Arthur Knaggs's points in this e-mail - yes Thelly enjoyed her trip and is now back in new quarters in Santa Cruz.

Best wishes to all.

Brian Lewis
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Anthony Cintra
Sent: 12/27/2005 8:57:53 PM

Dear Ladislao,

My family and I wish you and yours a Happy and Holy Christmas and a Bright and prosperous New Year.

Many thanks for the News letters, through these I am informed of the progress of "old Boys" and those not "so old".

I access the mail while in Hamburg.

I visited Caracas very briefly in October last year to deliver a lecture at the Pedro Gual Institute under the auspices of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Venezuela.

It was a two day visit filled with meetings and conferences.

A working lunch was arranged with Professor Isidro Morales Paul at his home.

I was very sad to hear of his passing-on.

At the last session of the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea in Hamburg, I was elected president of the Marine and Environmental Chamber Court for the next three years.

Cintra, my wife for 42 years and I have four daughters, two are married and live in Canada.

The other two live here in Trinidad, Cindy-Ann the eldest is a medical doctor and is currently an assistant professor in clinical medicine attached to the University of British Columbia, Vancouver.

She is an emergency physician at St. Pauls Hospital Vancouver.

She is married, her husband is also a doctor and they have a daughter Isabel, who is three.

Gillian,the second is a lawyer and currently the member of Parliament for point a Pierre.

She is a member of the Opposition and was Minister of Legal Affairs when her party was in Government. Elizabeth, the third, has a degree in Industrial management and Accountancy, she is married and lives in Hamilton Canada. They have a son Matthew. He is three.

Antonia the youngest graduated with a degree in geography. (Fr.Ildfons would be happy about that). She now has a Masters degree in Environmental Management and is currently the Environmental and Safety Coordinator at the national Gas Company.

Cintra has retired from active teaching and is Chairman of one of the Secondary School boards.

I do not like to write about myself. If you wish have a look at www.itlos.org under judges you will see what I look like!.

With kind regards,

Anthony Lucky.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
This Circular is being sent ahead of time because during this carnival we stayed at home, while we let the rest of the people leave the city, about 2 million.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photos:
56DA0001DAMSCOUT, By David Ames, need names
57DA0001DAMGRP, UNKNOWNS
01MC0001MCO, Maurice Correia
03AL0001ALUFAM, Anthony Lucky and Family

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Photo ID
By Jon Golding

Top photo with Armadillo probably around 1954-55

1 Ronald Matthieu
2 Christopher Date
3 Ask Chris Date who this is!
4 Richard Galt
5 Geoffrey Ames
6 ??

Group Photo Scouts 1953-55?

1
2
3
4
5
6
7 Albert Gabriel
8 Peter? Ames
9 Geoffrey Ames
10
11 Peter Laughlin
12 Anthony Lucky
13
14 Eden Huttom
15 Stewart Henderson
16
17 Anthony Sabga
18
19
20 Alex De Verteuil
21 Donald Goddard
22 Brian Goddard
23 Richard Gransaull
24 Gerald Pampellone
25
26

Anonymous said...

I just rememberd another. I am sure it is Gerald Pampellone holding the armadillo. So now we have everybody except the partial face on the right!
Jon