Saturday 15 March 2008

Circular No 332





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 15 of March 2008 No. 332
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

This is a long Circular on Class 1969, the investigations and results.

Please send all comments with CC to Jan as he has been named coordinator of CLASS 1969 and may be of Class 1968??

He is going to keep an updated list of “all MSB graduated” and “would have graduated Form V” with whom he was a classmate through out the years.

So let us start reading
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andres Larsen ...

Saturday, January 5, 2008 11:40:52 AM

Dear Ladislao,

Small observation there for you, 8 and 11 can´t both simultaneously be Paul Quesnel, besides both chaps definitely look different from each other.

I still firmly believe 17 is Michael D´Ornellas (alias "Specs") but without his trademark spectacles squinting into the camera.

I don´t recall exactly if Michael D´Ornellas was in the Class of 1963-1968 but that both you and Michael have a better grip on than me.

I always thought Specs was in our Class of 1964-1969, but then again I might be wrong on that one.

Kind regards

Andrés Larsen
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"GYURIS, ATTILA N" ...

Friday, January 4, 2008 12:15:54 PM
63UN0001CLASS1969, prep B, This is not my class.

I arrived into Prep A and there was no prep B by then.

When I arrived, these boys were in Form I.

Wow!, ALL those faces are extremely familiar but I can only come up with the names of a few right away.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gmail Jan ...

Thursday, January 3, 2008 8:50:07 PM

Yes Ladislao,

The boys that I mentioned in the photo were the boys that were with me in the Forms I and II and III and IV from october 1963 to july 1967.

After that I left the Mount, but if nothing changed these 12 boys with a lot of other new ones finished Form V in the Abbey School in july 1968.

The other boys in the picture were not in my class but have familiar faces to me.

They must have failed exams at one time and therefore stayed behind.

If you would look at the picture of From II june 1965 that is the class I went with into Form III and IV until summer 1967.

In fact you make the right conclusion that maybe a minor part finished the Abbey School in 1968 and the rest in 1969.

Hope I have been of some help,

Greetings Jan Koenraadt
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: ladislao kertesz
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 11:56 PM

Dear Jan

Can then say that it is class 1968 instead of 1969

I say this because there were very few kids that were promoted, that is jumped ahead.

Most did repeat instead so the majority graduate in 1969 of the photo I sent you.

I shall make the corrections.

God Bless

Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Ladislao,

I just received your mail with the Photo "Prep B 1963 Noo".

There are a few boys I recognise very well because they were in my class Form I from october 1963 which class would finish the Abbey School in summer 1968.

The other boys on the picture have familiar faces to me but they were not in my class so I don't recollect their names.

I recognise these boys on the picture as being one year younger when I came to the Abbey School in october 1963.

So they are indeed Prep B from october 1962-july 1963.

I attach a picture of Class 1968 made in june 1965 as Form II where you see the boys above mentioned re-appear.

Best wishes for the new year

Jan Koenraadt
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Attila

I have come up with a good?? better?? way to straighten things out.

Look at it and comment.

God Bless

Ladislao
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Attila GYURIS gyuris@yahoo.com
Sent: Saturday, January 5, 2008 5:00:43 PM

Andres, Specs and all:

No doubt about the dates of the 1963-1968 class snapshot, however...

It is interesting to note that some (but not all, as some didn't finish at the Mount), of these boys ended in Form V with me in school year 1968-1969.

So, I wonder if it should be the class of 1963-1969?

On another note,

I wonder if anybody (perhaps Fr. Cuthbert) have a picture or at least an old list of names for the 1968-1969 Form V class?

Maybe we could come together and make up the list?

I think it would an interesting little project.

Some of those boys in these early class pictures made it to all the way to Form V, others dropped out, and other boys enrolled in school later.

Cheers,

Attila Gyuris

MSB 1964-1969
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gmail Jan ...

Sunday, January 6, 2008 7:56:15 AM

Dear Attila,

I am very pleased to receive from you such a clear picture of you and Josh Shoemaker. It solves the discussion who he really is, as he was spotted on other pictures by some while others call that it is not him.

The picture you send of you at the pool in with a cap on, I recognize the boy on the right of you (closest to the camera) indeed as Josh Shoemaker.

Because he also spoke Dutch he was my closest friend in my first two years.

About reconstructing the list of names of the class Form V 1968-1969, I left the Abbey School in the summer of 1967, so I cannot be of much help.

Except that four names in your list were students in my class from 1963-1967, namely

3) Lindsay Moffat

4) Paul Quesnel

10) Charles Devaux

11) Douglas Watson

This could only be possible if they failed exams in summer 1967 or 1968 and stayed behind one year.

Apart from you and Josh Schoemaker I also remember 12) Phillip Laughlin as being one class lower than me.

Not in your list below, also Derek Fakoory, Steve Anderson, Edgehill (nickname "hot ...."), Dennis Gurley were one class below me, so if they didn't fail their exams or left Mount earlier, they were in class 1968-1969.

Hope this will help you,

Much greetings Jan Koenraadt
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gmail Jan ...

Sunday, January 6, 2008 8:42:21 AM

Dear Ladislao,

I received your picture 63UN0001CLASS1968 Prep B 1963 with the names at the bottom.

About number 6, I named him first Larrie Thomas, but I sent you a correction mail that I made a mistake and it must be Richard Thomas. His elder brother was Larrie Thomas.

The picture I received from Attila Gyuris Swim Competition 1965 (1).jpg, the boy most right and closest to the camera I recognise as Josh Schoemaker. In the first two years I was at the Mount from 1963-1965 we were close friends because he also spoke Dutch.

When we had a long weekend holiday I couldn't go home to Surinam, so I went to stay at home with the parents of Josh Schoemaker in Woodford Lodge Estate, Chaguanas, Trinidad.

I have a picture of that time with the parents house of Josh Schoemaker in the background and a neighbouring girl Gail Forest.

We were all facing the problem that there were no girls at the Mount, some drove a scooter in the night all the way down the village to see a girl, this was my first encountering and penpal for some time.

That's all we could do about girls at that time, getting and writing letters.

I can add this story to it.

Maybe about two years later father Cuthbert drove us with a VW bus to Maracas Bay one day.

When I jumped out of the bus, I saw this girl Gail Forrest again in the water and went straight on to her to chat.

This was much to a surprise to father Cuthebert how come I could know a girl at the beach so fast, and he wanted to know.

That was also the moment some older boy came in contact with a jelly-fish in the water and had burning streams on his chest.

He had a lot of pain and had to lie down in the VW bus.

I don't know his name anymore but first aid had to come and I believe those swollen stream stayed always on his chest.

Much regards and greetings

Jan Koenraadt
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Quesnel <paul@kissbaking.com> wrote:
Sunday, January 6, 2008 2:44:13 PM

Andres

You were in class with Peter.

Yes their family did own an estate in Maracas Valley that has recently been sold as Peter’s Father died a couple of years ago.

El Tucuche is North of that valley and generally Maracas is over the hill.

My parents estates were in Sangre Grande (east) and Mayaro (south east).

Cocoa in Trinidad is dead although we produce the best flavoured in the world.

FACT. The Government has killed agriculture in this country over the last 50 years and are only now realising what they have done.

Probably too late to fix it as our people have forgotten how to live and work on the lands over time.

Although I was never a Scout I helped Cutty Drop troops off to camp and judged food and knots etc.

PAUL Q
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Andres Larsen [mailto:andres_larsen@yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2008 3:28 PM

Paul

Ages since I have heard anything directly from the Quesnel family.

I vaguely recall that your family owns (or owned) a plantation in the valley next to the west of Mount on the way to Port of Spain .

I am not completely sure anymore if that valley, which also runs north south, has Mount El Tucuche, Trinidad´s highest peak at its northern end.

I don´t remember what the plantation produces (or produced) but I do remember that in the area of Mount El Tucuche, maybe on its southern and northern flanks, there were (or still are a number of cocoa plantations.

I don´t remember either if Mount El Tucuche, on its northern side, slopes off to Maracas Bay .

We former Queen´s Scouts never do stop reminiscing about our camping and hiking activities of those days.

After 40 years some recollections understandably do become somewhat hazy.

I am not sure if it was you or Peter that I was in class with from 1964 through to 1969.

Likewise best wishes for 2008

Andrés L
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attila GYURIS ...
Sunday, January 6, 2008 5:25:20 PM

Hi Jan:

Thanks.

Well, I did jump one grade (I did Form II and Form III both during the same school year, 1966-1967),

Maybe that would explain some of the discrepancies, but not all.

This means that I would have been graduating in Form V with the class one year ahead of me.

For example: Andres Larsen was in the class ahead of me while I was in Prep A, Form I and Form II.

Then I caught up with him in Form III, half way through the school year 1966-1967.

We both did Forms III, IV and V together.

This still doesn't explain something...

...You were two forms ahead of me in 1964, correct? So if L. Moffat and Paul Q. - for example – were in your class,(i.e. two classes ahead of me), how come they appear in my Form V class?

I don't believe they repeated any school years, or did they? Maybe I am confused somewhere. It's a mystery to me.

Andres: can you help out with this...is my list of names in our Form V course correct?

Here is what I did:

School Years - Forms attended:

1964-1965 Prep A

1965-1966 Form I

1966-1967 Form II and Form III

1967-1968 Form IV

1968-1969 Form V

Attila Gyuris

MSB 1964-1969
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Jan:

Great story...

I also spent a 5 day long weekend one time at Josh Schoemaker's house at the Sugar Mill & Plantation Estate...

I believe it was in 1968 sometime (?).

I remember that house in the picture very well.

It was high up on stilts and you had to climb up the outside stairs to enter the living area.

I remember the Josh's mother would offer delicious cookies for tea every day.

There I did met that girl Gail Forrest and another girl called Frances...no pictures though...just memories.

Later, after you taught me how to "borrow" the monk's scooter motorcycles at night, I would go visit sometimes. :-)

Attila Gyuris

MSB 1964-1969
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
De: Alfredo Montiel Bezara [mailto:amontielb@megaval.com]
Enviado el: lunes, 07 de enero de 2008 11:11

Attila,

Probably Gonzalo, my brother, can remember those names, I am sure do not remember any names at all, but of course, you, Andres, Fulvio, and Roberto.

Best regards,

Alfredo Montiel Bezara

Form V 1972
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hola Gonzalo

Añales desde que he oido algo de ti.

Me acuerdo cuando te visité a ti y a tu Mamá en La Florida hace como 35 años.

A lo mejor mi recuerdo es inexacta en el detalle pero si sé que tuvo lugar.

Según tu lista más abajo que le enviaste a Attila, Enrique Gomez, hijo del Ministro de Defensa de Raul Leoni, también falleció y esa información seguramente la puede corroborar Raul Leoni Escobar hijo en West Palm Beach.

Escuche contar a alguien en algún momento, no me acuerdo quien ni cuando, que Enrique murió en una riña en un bar en España.

Me acuerdo muy bien de Enrique Gomez por que yo una vez tuve una lesión muy grave en la rodilla derecha abajo en el campo deportivo.

No me acuerdo que estaba haciendo allí y por que motivo.

Me caí cerca de la cancha, y tropece mi rodilla derecha contra una piedra grande, abriéndomela como una patilla.

Gracias a Dios, no perdí el menisco.

Enrique Gomez me acompañó en todo momento animándome, mientras que me subieron al colegio y de allí me llevaron, creo que en un taxi u otro transporte de la Abadía, a un cirujano en Tunapuna que me suturó.

Esa ayuda anímica muy espontánea y solidaria de Enrique Gomez la recuerdo para toda mi vida.

El tenía cierta fama de patotero pero aquella vez realmente se comportó muy a la altura y de una manera muy sencilla conmigo.

Years since I have heard something of you.

I remember when I visited you and your Mother in La Florida, Caracas 35 years ago. Perhaps my memory is inexact in the detail but I know that it took place.

According to your list that you sent to Attila, Enrique Gomez, son of the Minister of Defence of Raul Leoni, also it passed away and that information surely can corroborate by Raul Leoni Escobar in West Palm Beach.

I remember very well Enrique Gomez because I once had a very serious injury in the right knee down in the sport field.

I do remember what I was doing there and for what reason.

I fell near the field, and hit my right knee against a great stone, opening it like a watermelon.

Thanks to God, I did not lose the meniscus.

Enrique Gomez accompanied animating to me at any moment to me, whereas they took me the school and from there they took to me, I believe that in a taxi or another transport from the Abbey, to a surgeon in Tunapuna who stitched the wound.

The help was very spontaneous and shared in common of Enrique Gomez I remember for all my life.

He had a certain fame of patotero but that time he really behaved to the expectations and of a very simple way with me.

Paz a sus restos.

Cordial saludo

Andrés Larsen
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gonzalo Montiel <gonzmont253@cantv.net> wrote:

Es posible que se gradúo antes, acuérdate eran dos hermanos Rafael y Gustavo, de todas maneras mi memoria es pésima para eso.

Si sigo en la ingeniería, trabajo en construcción

Creo que algunos se fueron antes pero no me acuerdo bien quienes.

It is possible that he graduate before, remember there were two brothers Rafael and Gustavo, of all ways my memory is terrible for that.

I am in engineering, work in construction

I believe that some went away before but I do not remember well that.

Gonzalo
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
De: Attila GYURIS [mailto:gyuris@yahoo.com]
Enviado el: martes, 08 de enero de 2008 15:06

Quihubo Gonzalo:

Gracias por responder con algunos de los nombres.

Me acordaba de las caras pero no de los nombres.

Esos nombres, todos eran de Form V de nosotros?

Yo creo que algunos no.

Por ejemplo, yo no me acuerdo que Gustavo Echeverria se haya graduado con nosotros en Form V.

Cheche estaba algunos años mas adelante que nosotros, no?

Que piensas?

Me acuerdo que tu te graduaste de Ing Civil en la UCAB. Sigues en la Ingenieria?

Thanks for responding with some of the names.

I remember the faces but not of the names.

Those names, all were of our Form V?

I believe that some not.

For example, I do not remember that Gustavo Echeverria has graduated with us in Form V.

Cheche was some years ahead than we, no?

What you think?

I remember that you graduated as Ing. Civil in the UCAB. Are you in Engineering?

Attila
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Salvador Coscarart <salborbolla@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hola hermanos como están y felicidades.

Si Patiño era el flaco que era muy rápido era veloz ese carajo, era de caracas.

Carlos Maneiro esta en contacto con Miguel Angel Luongo.

Yo también estuve en contacto con Natividad Cabello que es hermano de Winston Cabello y primo de Miguel Angel Luongo que era de Cumanacoa, Edo Sucre como ustedes pueden ver en las direcciones yo ya le mande una carta a Miguel Angel para tratar de hacer contacto directo con el.

Así que espero que me conteste, y yo se los re-envio a ustedes, también estaba Frank Ibarra que era el sobrino de Doña Menca de Leoni.

Y Manuel Becerra y los hermanos Borges, también estaba en esa época el negro Monterola, Enrique Aranguren que su papa era el guarda de Rafael Caldera.

El profesor de prep en esa época se llama Mr Mark, que nosotros lo llamábamos el gorila.

Los nombres que yo me acuerdo aparte de los de ustedes son:

Un tal Arreaza, otro que lo llamábamos barrilito que el cura Zua lo atropello con el Volkswagen van .

También estaba Jose Maria Acosta de Anaco, Bartolo de Anaco, Gustavo Echeverria y Xavier Echeverria (chechito) lo llambamos nosotros.

Gonzalo Montiel que se jodio una ves en el trampolín en la piscina, a ver si el se acuerda de esto.

Gonzalo también estaba un Picoli que era de la época de Rafael Echeverria, también había un Jose Rivera de Caracas que lo llamábamos trotu, también estaba Raul Izquierdo si alguien se acuerda de Raul que era de Saint Anthonys.

Los del tigre eran Frank Malaver, Jose Malaver, de El Tigrito estaban los hermanos Edgar y Eloy Moffie de Margarita estaba Pedro Mata, también había un ingles que se llamaba Butterworth, y un francés que lo llamábamos frenchy.

Y un argentino que vivía en caracas.

También el gringo Gabriel Batista.

También Lawrence Town, que era la época de Fulvio y Rafael y Picoli y Bartolo .

Otro italiano de Pto La Cruz era Giorgio Medico.

Bueno los nombre me llegan a la cabeza cuando me transporto al pasado jajajjajaja.

Yo y mi hermano Pedro éramos de Cumana y teníamos el Hotel Astoria.

También estaban los hermanos Dvorak.y los hermanos Rockafort, Carlos y ? ....

Gustavo Achong y Mario Gaston, Arturo Zavarce.

Francisco Rosas, Carlos Pazos, bueno los tengo que dejar por hoy pues tengo que regresar al futuro y a trabajar, un abraso muy cordial a todos los hermanos del Abbey.

Yo y mi hermano estuvimos allí desde el 67 al 74.

Hello brothers how are you and congratulations.

If Carlos Manairo was the skinny one who was very fast, he was quick, was from Caracas.

Carlos Maneiro is in contact with Miguel Luongo Angel.

I also was in contact with Natividad Cabello that is brother of Winston Cabello and cousin of Miguel Luongo Angel who were from Cumanacoa, Edo Sucre as you can see in the directions I already send to in a letter to Miguel Angel to try to make direct contact with him.

So I hope that he answers to me, and I shall resend it to you, also was a Frank Ibarra who was the nephew of Doña Menca de Leoni.

And Manuel Becerra and the Borges brothers, also was at that time “the black” Monterola, Enrique Aranguren whose father was the bodyguard of Rafael Caldera.

The professor of prep at that time was called Mr Mark, whom we called gorila.

The names that I remember aside from those are:

A certain Arreaza, other that we called barrilito that the Zua brother ran over with Volkswagen van.

Also were Jose Maria Acosta de Anaco, Bartolo de Anaco, Gustavo Echeverria and Xavier Echeverria (chechito) as we called him.

Gonzalo Montiel who hurt himself in the springboard at the swimming pool, see if one remembers this.

With Gonzalo there also was a Picoli that was of the time of Rafael Echeverria, also was Jose Rivera of Caracas who we called “trotu”, also was Raul Izquierdo if somebody remembers Raul was of Saint Anthonys.

Those from Tigre were Frank Malaver, Jose Malaver, of the Tigrito were the Edgar brothers and Eloy Moffie de Margarita was Pedro Mata, also there was an English who was called Butterworth, and a French who we called frenchy.

And an Argentinean who lived in Caracas.

Also the gringo Gabriel Batista.

Also Lawrence Town, who was of the time of Fulvio and Rafael and Picoli and Bartolo. The another Italian of Pto La Cruz was Giorgio Medico.

Good the names arrives in my head when I am transported to the past jajajjajaja.

I and my Pedro brother were from Cumana and we had the Astoria Hotel.

Also were the Dvorak brothers, the Rockafort brothers, Carlos and? …. Gustavo Achong and Mario Gaston, Arthur Zavarce.

Francisco Rosas, Carlos Pazos, well I must good for today because I must return to the future and to work, a very warm fraternal greetings to all the brothers of the Abbey.

I and my brother were there from the 67 to the 74.

Jajajajaj hasta pronto.

Salvador

PS: Otro nombre Alloy y Assam Garner de Anaco, Alfredo Seaforth Anaco, .Roberto y Tonito Mezzana.etc....
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Andres Larsen ...

Monday, January 7, 2008 3:01:09 PM

Hi Attila and Jan,

I have had a close and good hard look at all the snapshots you chaps have sent me in recent days.

In Laszlo's first PHOTO of CLASS of 1963, Jan Koenraadt identifies 11 and 18 as Paul Quesnel, but Paul Quesnel e-mails to say that he is only 18, which leaves us with the mystery of who is 11.

I think I have now solved the mystery based on the snapshot Attila sent of the Chaguaramas Scout Camp where 6 is Josh Schoemaker; and the snapshot that was sent of the three Aqualads where the third on the right is Josh Schoemaker.

Gentlemen, in Laszlo's PHOTO of CLASS of 1963, the mysterious 11 is none other than Josh Schoemaker.

Take a look for yourselves and compare Laszlo's snapshot with the two others. I am attaching all three again below as separate files.

Something else, Attila, unfortunately I am not able to help you with the names of our Class and the different Forms we went through.

However, the explanation you give Jan Koenraadt about jumping a grade and both of us graduating together is absolutely correct.

Best regards

Andrés Larsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael D' Ornellas <michael@elchicoeggs.com> wrote:

Dear Andres,

You are correct, #17 is me and #11 is Peter Quesnel.

happy New Year,

Specs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any more comments on this CLASS jigsaw and I shall go crazy. Those of you who keep up to date photos, do not forget to down load these. (Ed.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
63UN0001CLASS1969, Prep A photo taken in 1963
66UN0001CLASS1969, Form II photo taken in 1966.
XLS file on CLASS 1969 analysis by Jan Koenraadt [NOT INCLUDED DUE TO FORMATTING PROBLEM]

No comments: