Saturday 1 March 2008

Circular No 330





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 1 March 2008, No. 330
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
A new old ALUMNUS, Class 1960, welcome.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

"Guildner@aol.com" ...
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:11:56 AM

Dear Ladislao;

I was a student at Mt. St. Benedict till 1960.

I presently live in Portland, OR, USA and am retired.

I was a student with Manuel Prada. Fr Jerome was my math teacher. Fr Ildefonse was my history teacher and boy scout leader. Bro Vincent was our bursar. Fr Peter was our religious teacher.

Harry Guildner
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: nchacha57
To: mate@tstt.net.tt
Sent: 1/15/2008 7:37:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time

John...

You are sooo correct on T&T, I was in T&T for three weeks and was so disappointed with most of the mount guys that I just gave up on them and decided to look for just close family.

Everyone was too busy as usual except for Winston Ramsahai (who was really busy because he was leaving for the USA in a couple days) and Unus Ali.

They made sure to come and take me out for lunch, dinner and spent some time together.

I think the Venezuelans have more unity and care more about the mount and fellow students.

We have decided to organise a get together here in Orlando or Miami for the guys that live in North America and who wants to attend from Trinidad is welcome to do so.

But I doubt very much we will see any of them since they are all busy trying to make money.

I hope they take it with them when they die.

I am not pointing fingers at anyone, but they know who they are.

I am sorry I did not get in contact with you, Specs, and Gabe but I was really turned off from the guys that I was so closed to at the mount and they disappointed me.

Hopefully you will circulate this letter and hope they make a change in life.

All the best.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
david decastro ...

Monday, January 14, 2008 2:28:02 PM

Hi Ladislao,

The founder and first abbot of Mt. St. Benedict is father Mayeul de Cagny and he later became a member of Saint Leo Abbey in Dade City Florida and is buried there.

They also have Saint Leo University there.

Any old boy passing through that area may want to visit his grave.

web site www.saintleoabby.org.

Dave "the bandit"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Tim Healy ...

Friday, February 8, 2008 10:57:57 PM

OK, so yuh want some input,

My brother was Mike Healy, attended mount 68 and 69.

Apparently got in a big fight with Copeland at the end of 68.

Used to be called Shortfoot and hung out with the Peter Quesnel crowd.

Anyone recall that fight? It was the year before I came to the Mount.

Want some real input, I wrote a short story back in the early nineties.

It is too long to put in this email and I can't find the Word file right now to attach it but it is on my web page www.timhealy.net.

The story is called In Search of Imagine...by John Lennon.

Find it after you click on the Short Stories link at the left of the home page.

In it I share a walk I had with my first love through POS and the Savanna to 160 Belmont Circ. Rd. where she lived. The story is fiction. In it I take liberties with events that actually happened.

Any of you remember these events? Remember her real name? Anyone wants to contribute their recollections of the events?

I wrote this story and a few others as a healing exercise during my divorce in late 80's and early 90's.

For those who do not know me English is my third language after Dutch and Taki-Taki.

The story has not been edited. Any support in editing will be welcomed.

As a security note: the most traumatic event I had at Mount was going back four years after graduating and finding that the view from White Stones was stolen from me by some idiots that planted Pine trees (so feel free to critique).

I would pay big money to be able to sit up there today as it was 30 years ago.

God, it was so beautiful up there looking over Maracas Valley and El Tucuche always shrouded in a light blue vail and around to the Gulf of Paria.

I remember running from the top of White Stones and dipping down the steep incline at full speed so that all I could do to keep my balance was to let go until the razor grass stopped me where it levelled off and I'd lay there, looking up, high on adrenaline, feeling like a cobo that just made his first flight.

Meh hole body would be all cut-up and burning. But the biggest cut-up would be the smile on my face.

I remember some week-ends we had off I would stay up and spend the whole week-end in the bush by myself.

I would wake up and do Vespers with the priests at 4AM. I have been blessed.

And Skippy, Poggy, Pig and me, liming at Sabina in St James... but that's for another day.

Guys I love everything you do in this forum and Circulars, I appreciate your efforts.

I cannot contribute regularly but will do so more often.

Tarzan...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: "Glen Mckoy"
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 13:32:07 +0000

G#2,

You've got the blues. I'll see you at the crossroads. you can play guitar, I play a Hammond B3 organ o.k. get Che on bass, David could sing, Hudson on Piano, Wayne on pan, hire a professional drummer so we could sound good ha ha..

I remember when we heard this big bang and a tree fell down somewhere out here, we thought one of you guys were dead.

When I came to Halifax in 1975, Ian Alphonso was here and Roger Farrah, and Hudson and other boys from Trinidad, we all came up to Saint Mary's University, I lived there for 3 years, best time of my late teens, did the same things played music, party all week Ian Alphonso / always 2 classes ahead of his peers, he lives in Canada, Toronto not sure, but Hudson could find him.

He got married to a girl from Nova Scotia.

Yeah his father was one of Eric Williams doctors right. (Professor fate) Hudson and Ian was here before me, Hudson got in right after mount.

Ian would be kissing his girl friend, he would be half drunk and still beat me at chess.

I took my game serious. ha ha G#2 I think Jon was right be careful of who we cc. ing to.

I was talking to another brother and it seems to me on that last forum it must had about 100 people reading our personal chats from all over the world. that was not on the list, words from the wise ones before us.

Ain't that special, any how moving on, G#2, Tim sends me an email, asking me, if I am leaving the forum, Tim, I only saw 2 notes from you, one I'm sorry and the other one, are you leaving the forum, ah learn a few phrases from the last forum ah might have to share with you, so mr. forum we waiting for your input...............

G#1gone. (parrot troop) proud member( since 1968).......
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: gevelyn1@bellsouth.net
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:46:30 +0000

G#1,

You hit the right note as the only thing I can play OK on the guitar is the minor pentatonic. Three Kings---you missed uncle BB. ---- Albert was the one string man and they all copied your partner Freddy. One of them was a Booker T @ MG's but I cannot remember which. The only white-man is Clapton and the only black man that sounds white is Cray. Smile.

As for the Den-Man that would be Tim. The forestry commission still looking for him for wrecking the environment. And you were the king of mischief. Secret places in our own back-yard. Imagine if they had a hardware store close by. I was probably the biggest burglar when it came to potassium nitrate, sulphur and carbon.

As soon as Kitty ( the Queen of Mount most loving Lady) turned her back the bottle of oxygen maker was gone.

Learned to blow a tree in two from Ian "Professor Fate".

I turned them into perfect lean-up-on trees in one bang.

The thing I enjoyed most was the cook-ups of stolen grub from Mrs Tardeaer.

It was good times and my education suffered as a result.

I had to go back to High school in Florida at 27 years old before I could be accepted into College.

The only GCE I passed at Mt. was English.

Saludos G#2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Glen Mckoy <mckoy43glen@hotmail.com>

Dear Glen,

I hear yuh, man. Let's get the party started again on a musical note. Stevie Ray copy Hendrix who copy Freddy King, who copy Albert King. What's your comment on that blues brother?? listen carefully you can hear it so clearly. your buddy Doug on pan, he's good man.

I cc. Wayne Hackett and David Decastro to check it out also.

Also I would like to say sorry to our Vene. brothers for things that was said which we had no control off, however I will add the spitting game is not an English sport.

As Bob Marley said who the cap fit let them wear it.

Lets get the ball rolling, how about some good Den building stories, Den finding and destroying, Dens that was never found, Tim might remember we had a den nobody ever found , ah get a good red belly for that one, but ah never told them where it was, remember Tim.

Let get back on track, Have a nice lent day one and all,

Glen McKoy....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: gevelyn1@bellsouth.net
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 05:51:12 +0000

To you'll,

This is my last "hail out" as we should be "Hail Marying" for Lent.

A voice can do several things --teach, sell, threaten, encourage, warn and in John's case hurt. Bad for business. "Ipse Venea Bibas" Say what? Latin for --- He drank his own poison.

As students of Benedictines the new rule is quiet the criticism.

It's all about forgiveness and repentance.

Put a Ban on it and let us charge with our slingshots loaded.

Amen Glen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Glen Mckoy mckoy43glen@hotmail.com

Glen (Brothers)

Sometimes the truth cuts deep , I am so sorry, we didn't start it, it started with him and Singh , we gave him support, he gave us the boot.

Never to late to grow up, I think he was waiting for this moment all his life, I hope it was worth it.

Best regards Glen Mckoy.........
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: gevelyn1@bellsouth.net
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 14:13:07 +0000

G#1

&g t; > I guess we won't be hearing from John again.

Like Neil said he needs help.

Later G#2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Don Mitchell CBE QC ...

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 5:30:11 AM

Hello Peter,

Ladislao is the principal contact agency for Mount Old Boys.

He has over the past several years sent out a weekly circular of correspondence and comment to every Old Boy whose email address he has.

These circulars are posted on a website for all to read.

Each year's circulars can be accessed from any of the websites.

The links are in the right hand column.

Just click on any year, and all the circulars of that year will appear.

I am sending you the first one, 2001: http://abbeyschool2001circulars.blogspot.com/.

Please make sure that he is copied on anything you do, especially if you want him to give it the widest circulation in one of his circulars.

All the best,

Don
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Attila GYURIS gyuris@yahoo.com
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 3:21:28 PM

Subject: Re: Father Christopher

Dear Laszlo:

The pictures were originally sent by Jan Koenraadt....I thought you were included in the CC; for this email exchange and the pictures had been also sent to you. Sorry about that.

However I think all those Fr. Christopher pictures may not be of interest to the rest of the Mount boys.

They were of a plaque he had received for his celebration.

Jan...can you send Ladislao the photos you had sent up in these emails?

Thanks,

Attila Gyuris
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ladislao kertesz wrote:

Dear Attila

No photos were received, maybe someone should FW instead if "Reply"

I am preparing a CLASS 1969 resume with the items that have been sent.

Hopefully this will help the discussion as it is better to see a photo, read a table than two dozen of emails from a dozen of participants.

God Bless

Ladislao
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Attila GYURIS gyuris@yahoo.com
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 7:57:08 PM

Dear Jan:

Yes I think I remember Br Edward..

He was tall blond, thin, wore glasses and played the piano and the organ for the mass.

He taught me some piano chords...

He also was the director of the Abbey Choral, wasn't he? I remember him waving his arms while directing

Holy Cow! I didn't know anything abut this atomic cloud from the french test...

Where was it done? I am guessing maybe this test was done near French Guiana and the trade winds blew it over ?

(However I thought all French nuclear tests were done in French Polynesia in the South Pacific.)

I guess we all got a dose of radiation then because we were all there that year, right....?

Attila
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Gmail Jan wrote:

Last February I visited father Christopher in Holland after he contacted me.

He was in the same monk class with my brother Alphonse.

I got this Xmas mail from him, about his present when he in fact retired for his pension.

His email address is htt41@hotmail.com

Can you remember a monk of about 25 years in 1965 with blond maybe reddish hair playing the piano a lot also?

He played the Blue Danube most of the time? Well this monk was brother Edward or .... Theunissen a nephew of father Christopher.

When he was 51 years he died of the same vicious type of cancer as my brother did when he was 30 in 1973.

Which makes me think my brother got radiated by the last atomic experiment of France in 1966, which fall out cloud went right over Mount and I remember my brother and Edward went on top of the roof of the Abbey School building to watch this cloud at night.

I wrote this already 6 months ago to ladislao, but it does not appear in the circulars.

On my part, it is buried history and let's go on with what you are asking for . . . If you want to approach father Christopher I think it is no problem, just mention we are old friends and you got his address from me and leave out what is in this mail and the attachment . . .

Hallo Allemaal,

Afgelopen zondag werd ik gehonoreerd door het instituut waarvan ik indertijd met mijn zilveren priesterjubileum die grote cake had gekregen. Hierbij enkele foto's met de cake die ik bij deze gelegenheid (het zilveren jubileum van het instituut) ook meekreeg. Jammer genoeg heb ik vanmorgen de onderscheiding in gruzelementen laten vallen. Ik wou het in een winkeltas doen, maar daar zat een groot gat in. Als ik het laat weten (maar daar schaam ik me een beetje voor) dan zullen ze wel een vervanging geven. Allerhartelijkste groeten aan iedereen, moge Sinterklaas iedereen gul gedenken en het best met de voorbereidingen van Kerst en Nieuwjaar en tot ziens. Hennie

Hello everybody,

Last Sunday I was honoured by the institute of which I got at my silver preast jubileum a big cake. Hereby some photo's of the cake which I got by this occasion (the silver jubileum of the institute). Pity enough I dropped this morning the honourablia in many pieces. I wanted to do it in a shopping bag, but it had a big hole. If I let them know (but I feel ashamed to do it) maybe they will give a replacement. Most warm greetings to everyone, may Santa Claus memorise everyone well, and all the best with preparations for Xmas and New Year and see you. Hennie.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
This is a very long Circular, hope you did find the patience to read it..

Your friend, Ladislao
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
08FC0193FCHJUB, Fr. Christopher´s Siver Jubileum.
05JG0001JGITEN John and motorbike Tenere
95NB0001GRP, Christopher de Marothy, Claude Johnson., George Laquis, Anthony Sabga, Bernard Johnson.
57RB0002a2UNKNOWN, Anyone??, make a guess and send it to the Circular

No comments: