Saturday 23 August 2008

Circular No 355






Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 23 August 2008. No.355
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

To All Abbey School Old Boys.

An Old Boys Reunion is planned for the weekend of 7-9 November 2008. The initial details are given below. Interested Old Boys please reply to Chris Knowles: knowlescb@hotmail.com Please reply by 15th October 2008.

Friday 7th November 2008
The arrival of foreign-based Old Boys and their wives is anticipated to be complete by Friday evening. There will be a “lime” arranged for that evening.

Saturday 8th November 2008
10 a.m. -12 noon. The inaugural general meeting to appoint a committee and formerly establish the association.

Abbey School Alumni Association
The objectives of the Association are to provide services to former students of the Abbey School, The Monastic Community and the wider community in a charitable and beneficent way and to foster the spirit of brotherliness and friendship among past students of the Abbey School in a manner consistent with the mission of the Abbey School.

After the meeting there will be social interaction, a visit to the old school on the hill, a hike to Whitestones etc. At 6:30pm there will be a dinner for all participants at J.F.K Auditorium at UWI, which will feature a distinguished Old Boy as keynote speaker. The price of the dinner will be advised later.

Sunday 9th November 2008
At 10 a.m., from an assembly point to be advised, there will be a day trip to Mayaro. There will be a cover charge of TT$200 per person and no alcohol is permitted, to comply with the sensitivities of the host.
This is the final day of the event.

Accommodation (All prices in US Dollars).

Norma’s Bed and Breakfast, No.2 Aruac Road, Valsayn Park South. (Recommended).
Single $75/night, Double $93.50/night, Triple $110/night, Quad $126.50
Tel: (868) 663-4137 or (868) 645-9746.
Cell: (868) 683-9734.
Fax: (868) 645-0563.
Fax with Credit Card details and Authorisation.

Hilton (P-O-S), $115/night. Available on line.

Holiday Inn Express (Trincity near Piarco), $229/night. Available on line.

I PRESUME THAT THE PRICES ARE IN USD.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Paul Dewan PaulDewan@sympatico.ca
Sent: Friday, April 6, 8:21:06 AM

Hey Salvador,
Great to hear from you.
I was at Abbey from 71 – 76.
I remember you and your brother Pedro.
The memory of you with the most impact was when you received an award at graduation for taking care of the sick, this had a huge impact on me as I myself tried to emulate this afterwards by looking after the sick and wounded and at my graduation I received an award for helpfulness.
So thanks to you for the inspiration.
I am happy that I have this opportunity to say thanks to you.
We had a good time as you have heard and I am looking forward to connecting with more Abbey boys.
Take care
Abbey Boy Forever!!
Cheers
Paul
416-365-6186 (Home)
Toronto
-----Original Message--------------------------------------------------------------
From: Salvador Coscarart [mailto:salborbolla@yahoo.com]
Sent: April 5, 10:12 PM

Hello abbey boys ,
My name is SALVADOR COSCARART. Regards to you both.
I went to the Abbey on 67 to 74.
Alloy send me a note and told me you guys had a very good time reminiscing the good old times at mount .
I wish I could have been there.
Well here is how you can see information on old boys from mount.
best wishes and regards,
salvador coscarart.
KEEP IN TOUCH. If you come to LOUISIANA call me at 337-668-4595.home and my cell 337-303-6124. Most of the time am working in the gulf of Mexico, bye. Abbey boy for EVER.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Salvador Coscarart
Saturday, March 15, 2008 12:04:17 PM
REGARDS ,HAPPY EASTER.SALVADOR
-----Original Message------------------------------------------------------.
From: Anthony Garner chongsing@sympatico.ca
Sent: Thursday, April 5, 7:35:09 AM
Subject: Fwd: Hello

Oye viejo!!
Got together with Paul Dewan. Hudson Mckoy, Assam, y otro dayboy, pero se me olvido su nombre, que memorias..
Ha..aqui te mando el email address de Paul Dewan...si tienes la informacion que el quiere , mandaselo..Gracias
Mono
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: "Paul Dewan"
Date: April 5, 2007 12:49:40 AM EDT (CA)
Subject: Hello

Hi All:
It was great to meet with you all again after such a long long time.
Brought back lots of good memories.
Here is my contact information so that we can keep in touch with each other.
Can someone please send me the link to the Abbey School students website.
Thanks.
Cheers
Paul
PS: Got stopped by RIDE on Hurontario on my way to the QEW. No problems.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Hello,
Here are some of the missing names:
RE. CLASS 1973 The Abbey School MSB
Paul Dewan
Sunday, January 20, 2008 11:56:02 PM
10: Abidh Aliry (email attached, Toronto)
17: (First name?) De Four
23: Phillip Da Silva
25: Anslem Roach
26: (First name?) Villarroel
I have also included Marlon Da Silva, who is a former student living in Hamilton, Canada
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Paul
(I need the addresses. Ed.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Csaba Jakobszen
Monday, June 2, 2008 3:40:41 PM

Dear Ladislao,
Just to make things clear, keep in mind that I wrote Cambridge School Certificate, twice: the first time in 1956 ( got a 2nd Grade) and in 1957, ( got a 1st Grade)
Ames, David was my classmate, graduated in 1957; went on to McGill to study medicine, became a psychiatrist.
Ames, Peter was my classmate, wrote Cambridge in 1956, haven't had contact with him ever since.
Bain, David was my classmate, wrote Cambridge in 1956, don't know about further studies.
Boyack, Malcolm was my classmate, wrote Cambridge in 1956, haven't had contact with him ever since.
Cope, Ian was my classmate, graduated 1957, became an engineer, died a couple of years ago of cancer. Had e-mail contact with him 3 or 4 years ago
Crooks, Johnathon never heard of him
Day, Harley was my classmate, graduated in 1956, studied with me at St. Mary?s University in Halifax for 3 years; haven't heard of him since.
De Boehmler, David was not my classmate
De Leuze, Carl never heard of him
De Verteuil, Nicholas never heard of a Nicholas, but
Ian de Verteuirl was my classmate, graduated in 1957 and studied with me at Saint Mary's. Lives in British Columbia/Canada.
Dornellas, Leslie was my classmate, wrote Cambridge in 1956, haven't had contact with him ever since.
Gabriel, Norman was my classmate, wrote Cambridge in 1957, saw him a couple of years later in Trinidad, don't know about further developments.
Henderson, Christopher was my classmate, wrote Cambridge in 1956, went to St.Mary´s University and Nova Scotia Technical College in Halifax, became an engineer.
Hutton, Benedict was my classmate, wrote Cambridge in 1956, haven't had contact with him ever since.
Jakobszen, Csaba
Lopes, Benedict J. was my classmate, graduated in 1956, went on to Montreal to study, tried to contact him per e-mail, got on answer.
Lucky, Anthony was my classmate, wrote Cambridge in 1956, graduated and became a lawyer; haven´t had any contact with him.
Mew, William was my classmate, wrote Cambridge in 1956, haven't had contact with him ever since.
Tadros, Peter was my classmate, wrote Cambridge in 1956, haven't heard of him since, wanted to become a doctor, was a very good student.
Tijs, never hear of him
Weeks, Henry was my classmate, wrote Cambridge in 1956, haven't had contact with him ever since.
Wilson, James was my classmate, wrote Cambridge in 1956, haven't heard of him ever since.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Csaba Jakobszen
Monday, June 2, 2008 4:57:04 PM

Dear Ladislao,
Just answered your e-mail as well as I could regarding class of 1956 etc.
I haven't received any MSB Circulars from you for months; may be because my computer hadn't been in ship-shape and some e-mails just didn't arrive.
Now it has been revised and put in shape, so please send me all the circulars which had been edited this year.
My wife and I were very glad that you visited us with your sons and daughter-in-law in March.
Best regards
Csaba
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
That is for now, till the next one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos
59UN0001BASKETBALL DREAM TEAM NEW NAMES.
57RB0002D4, King and Manuel Prada NEW NAMES
57RB00033a9, washroom with three unknowns, 1957
57IF0004IFA, UNKNOWN
72LM0001CLASS1973, CLASS 1973??
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------




1 comment:

idmitch said...

The unknown in the bottom photo looks like Isaias Farcheg to me.

Don