Saturday 24 May 2008

Circular No 342





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 24 May 2008. No.342

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends

I believe that this has been long reserved to the Scouts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANTHONY SEHEULT

Saturday, January 26, 2008 10:41:00 PM

I’m attaching a photo of myself and my wife Marcia which was taken at a dance last October.

Most of our Christmas photos are of our new twin grandchildren!!

I entered the school in April of 1955 and I graduated Form V in 1964.

Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: laszlo kertesz [mailto:kertesz11@yahoo.com]

Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2008 12:38 PM

Dear Anthony

I am going to publish your resume in Circulars No. 328 but I need photos.

Did you take a few on Xmas?? One would be fine.

When did you enter the school and did you graduate Form V in 1963?

It is difficult to match dates with Don because he graduated twice.

God Bless

Ladislao

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

RE: Tim Healy's overdue library book

"Schaefer, Glen O. CIV MSFSC N02M"

Saturday, February 9, 2008 10:22:31 AM

Ok Ok Ok,

You all got me now.

I would share a beautiful recollection of adolescent mischief for all those fellas in Parrot troop.

Tim I think you was on the lime with us that night.

If I recall correctly it was Pig, Sheep (Sheppard), Stink Foot(Tim), Poggy, Fee Dracs (Joe) and myself.

We were camping at the Boys scout headquarters in St Anns, and we decided to break camp for a walk around de savanna, possibly to eat some roast corn and drink some coconut water.

Walk was going real nice until we turn de corner by Casuals Club when we came upon an olde time hooker by de name of "Pudding", an dat is when Mas start.

We start heckling pudding tellin she we have five cent, some of us offer ten cent and the highest offer got as high as a quarter and we want to make fears.

Boy next ting yuh know dat woman start pelting we with beer bottle from she purse.

Me ah never know ah woman purse could hold three carib case ah bottle.

Needless to say we kind ah scatter and start throwing dem used coconut shells at her, mindful we were not trying to hit this fine lady of the night.

We were just having kicks.

We continued our walk in the direction towards Cippriani Blvd, when out of nowhere dis big car pull up on we and this flamboyantly dress muscular male (Big Black Brotha) jumped out of de car and rushed towards us and all I saw was dis man reachin his right hand back towards his back pocket and in slow motion he raised it up above his head and in dis slow travel there was a glint of brilliance caught my eye in the reflection of the night light and simultaneously me and pig shouted RAZORRRRRRRRR, and we were gone.

We all scattered across de savanna.

Heading back to camp.

I remember me, Dracs, and Fee take off running together and with me being from town dey were running with me.

Now I'm gonna add insult to injury, as we were running up Cascade road man about six dogs start chasing we, so now we were not only running from Pudding's Pimp but now dem dogs was on we arse.

So the only alternative left was to run down in de dry river, behind de Scout Headquarters.

Dat was ah good move because it took us to de fence which we jump and return back in camp.

Slowly we all started returning to camp and we took a head count.

One man missing,.... dat was Sheep.

You talking about twenty minute later Sheep still eh show up and knowing dat he was from Fyzabad area we know he was lost.

So we went to Joe Azar and let him know de whole story, Joewas licensed to carry a fire arm so he was strapped and he took Pig with him and they went to find de lost Sheep.

Dey found him by de savanna in de vicinity of de Zoo.

Dey say Sheep was frothing from de mouth because he was running so hard.

Now dat was ah good Camp and ah sweet lime, I enjoyed it so much maybe that is why I like Pudding so much to dis day.

Joe Azar later went and smooth things out with de Pimp.

And we were scolded by Joe not to molest those Hookers.

Joe you have always been a great mentor for us at the Abbey.

Peace.

Skippy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Schaefer, Glen O. CIV MSFSC N02M" ...

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 7:44:15 AM

My graduating class was 1973, with the Garners, Allen, Salvador Coscarrat, McKoys, Healy and Moffie.

I was very sadden to hear that we lost Elloy.

He was a very good friend of mine.

Peace

Glen Schaefer. 1973

=============================================.

Our Charter of Rights / The Circular Fund ( ever leap year) ? ? ?‏

From: Glen Mckoy (mckoy43glen@hotmail.com)

Sent: Sun 3/02/08 1:51 AM

THE CIRCULAR FUND : -Every Leap Year. (I got this idea, from something Jon said regarding the circular)

I would like to suggest , that we put into our Charter of Rights, The Circular Fund, which will happen every leap year.

I move that the motion be passed or be accepted, as one direct fund, I do hope, that this will simplify things for us in the future.

This fund will also contribute to on going projects, which most of us are in favour of. and will be appreciated by the longevity of our membership and beyond.

We pay, no membership fees, and everything is still free, and that's how we want to keep it, right.

If you the committee thinks this is a good direction. ?? ??

However, we would also like to give our highest Honor,and respect, to the man who has kept this Circular alive all these years , Mr. Ladislao Kertesz, we must thank you , from the bottom of our hearts, for your silent dedication and love, to take on such a great task.

The Circular. I do believe , that we all have benefited from, its sole purpose , of connecting old friends together again.

Bringing with it many stories, smiles and also tears.

We the hippies from the sixties now in our fifties, owes so much to the circular, because we were lost, for a long time.

Now we are back on, as you have seen from the forums , which we would like to continue, with interesting subjects, not to bore the reader to sleep.

In the past few months, these forums have had a lot of interactions, which has also drawn, many more members to the circular.

This has also brought with it, heavier demands , on the circular's workload, with new interested members connecting up.

So this has brought me to the conclusion, that we should start with the Circular Fund (which comes along every leap year ??)

What you guys think ?? Just a suggestion, would like some positive feedback, I have only sent this message to the above members only.

Thanking you in advance for your time and co-operation, I remain yours sincerely, Glen McKoy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

RE: MSB Scrapbook/‏

From: Glen Mckoy (mckoy43glen@hotmail.com)

Sent: Thu 4/17/08 8:36 PM

Oh thank you so much, for that Nigel, a true collector's item, your scrapbook is the whole story in a nutshell, the beginning part, its priceless.

I will always treasure this my friend, my brother, you are more than a light of vision with pictures.

This gift you gave. Oscar also sent out an email suggesting, we could fill in some of the years, that you don't have photos for, I have a few class photos, and some scouts ones.

Maybe some of the other brothers, may have some photos, to submit for the missing years ?

Oscar was also suggesting, a hard copy, which a few of us would love contribute to, in printing a few copies, the more the better.

Thank You again,

Glen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

RE: June Dinner‏

From: Glen Mckoy (mckoy43glen@hotmail.com)

Sent: Fri 4/18/08 7:54 AM

Hello Winston,

Its good to hear what is happening, I know its difficult when trying to organise things, and I know the hell of a time you have had over the years, I am glad to see the committee is back on track, and looking forward to supporting you as best as we can. The Esmeralda is a great event for the guys, they should take pride to have such an invitation.

Florida lime, Glen Evelyn is gone again. We are still organising the Kitty project, once that is on its way, a lot of other things will take off.

Winston if there are any thing, at any time, I can be of service to you in any way, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Keep up the good work. Thank you for your reply,

best of regards

Glen McKoy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:15:12 -0700
From: infosanpedro@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: June Dinner
Greetings Glen

Its nice to see the Abbey Boys networking all over the world, keep us posted on the FL lime some Trinis will drop in and knock bottle and spoon.

We are planning a dinner on board MV Esmeralda courtesy Victor and Enrique Zanelli for June 3rd 2008, our committee is now back on track.

Regards to the family

Winston.

NB Jim Ross is in Toronto will send his tele no for you.

=======================================================.

Dennis Gurley

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:19:01 AM

Dear Ladislao;

I am pleased to acknowledge all the good work that you are doing to chronicle the good times we all had at Mount.

Sorry that I have not been able to be of greater assistance but I have a pressure job and very little spare time to contribute.

With reference to my brothers and me and with particular reference to the 5 photos attached to your e-mail I am pleased to clarify by reference to them in the order they were sent:-

I am boy # 9 in the class of 1964 photo

My younger brother Christian is boy # 23 in the class of 1965 photo.

The boy thought to be one of us in the class of 1966 photo is not a Gurley….. unfortunately I do not know who he is.

I am the one on the right with shaded glasses at an old boys’ reunion at Mount in 2007. The other person is my good friend Gerald Kenny who went to Mount for a short while. I think he left the year that I went to Mount, namely in 1959.

Boy # 13 is my younger brother Christian (not me) in the Prep A of 1963 photo.

I was at Mount between 1959 and 1966.

My younger brother Christian left Mount in 1965 to go to St. Mary’s College in Port-of-Spain.

My elder brother Brendan, who died a couple of years ago in a road traffic accident in Tobago , was at Mount between 1959 and 1963 (or 1964).

He used to be a drummer in the scout band…but left Mount before entering Form 5 to go to St Mary’s College.

I’m sure you have a couple class and/or scout photos of him somewhere.

Hope this information is helpful.

Keep up the good work.

Dennis.

==================================================.

Gurley, Dennis - After leaving Mount in 1966 I went to St. Mary's University in Halifax, N.S. After graduation with a B.Comm.in 1970 I went to London, England and one year later enrolled at the College of Law. I worked and studied as a solicitor's articled clerk until I qualified as a solicitor in 1976. I got married to Marie Massiah in 1975 and returned to Trinidad where I have lived since 1977. I am the Managing Partner of a firm of attorneys-at-law in POS. I am happily married and the proud father of two adult sons. I'm a bit of a workaholic, but enjoy sailing. I race three out of every four weekends and most of my holidays are spent sailing in the Caribbean. You may probably remember my brothers, Brendan and Christian, they too live in Trinidad. See the website for his firm at http://www.jdsellier.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: "bookspec"

Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 10:39:45 -0500

Dear Ladislao

I believe I attended Mount between 1961-64, Prep B to Form II.

I then attended St. Mary's College, P-O-S.

Looking at the attachments below sparked some memories.

I was very friendly with the Echevarria brothers.

Norman Smith was the boy always willing to demonstrated that a cat spun around by its tail and thrown upwards with full force would always land on all four legs.

I am still in contact with a number of Mount boys such as Eion O'Connor, Harry Laughlin, Norman & Peter Tang, Roger Ames, my brother Dennis (Brendan died two years ago) - Allan Herrera & a few others very seldom such as Michael Marchock.

Kind regards

Christian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: lazslo kertesz

Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2005 8:40 PM

Dear Christian Gurley

Please could you inform me if you are an ALUMNI of the Abbey school?

God Bless

Ladislao Kertesz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

So now to the photos and start the next circular !!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photos:

08AS1007ASEWFE, Anthony Seheult and wife.

08LK0425GRP, Edgar Moffie and Rodolfo Aumaitre in Maturin Venezuela.

08DM0030JAB, John Abraham at the Reunion 2007

07BD0008MSBGRP, Fr. Cuthbert, Fr. Augustine, Fr. Christopher, Bro. Joseph Dorset

--------------------------------------------------------

No comments: