Saturday 5 July 2008

Circular No 348





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad andTobago, W.I.

Caracas, 5 July 2008. Circular No 348

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

I receive notification from the Next Reunion (2008) through a telephone call from the committee secretary, Christopher Knowles (1960), that the date has been fixed for the 8 of November. Please disregard any other date.

I am going to keep you posted on this event as soon I get news.

Please remember that the Circular is there for you to send News, like the proposed JAM in ???? on ?????.

Now to the routine, some remembrances on Fr.Theo, from his pupils.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A story about Fr. Theo:

Attila GYURIS

Monday, February 18, 2008 4:08:17 PM

Yes,

Getting "Licks" from all of them, was a common enough occurrence with me too.

A.T.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Andres Larsen <andres_larsen@yahoo.com> wrote:

Fr Theo and Fr Cuthbert (or maybe it was Fr. Bernard) caned me, each one once, I think it was for throwing ink in class.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

oscar cantore

Monday, February 18, 2008 11:01:51 AM

Attila,

After he left Mount he did come back to South America in fact he came to visit us in Anaco two or three times during X-Mass and said Mass at home.

He indeed was very progressive, he would not even confess Los Viejos that attended the Mass, instead he said that there was no need, only to repent and he would take care of everyone’s sins.

His last trip to Anaco he was very sick from cancer and that is what took him to his death bed, I do remember him very fondly apart from being a priest he was a good friend.

Peace to his soul.

Saludos

Oscar

------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Oscar:

I had no idea that you guys kept in touch with him for some years after he had left the Mount.

That's great.

Can you remember what year did he died?

I remember that while he was still at the Mount, he did visit Venezuela.

In fact he went to my house in Caracas to visit me and my parents.

That must have been sometime during the summer of 1967, I think.

He had such a zest for life!

He was always great company.

God rest his soul.

Attila Gyuris

Abbey School 1964-1969

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From: Attila GYURIS [mailto:gyuris@yahoo.com]

Sent: Viernes, 15 de Febrero de 2008 07:59 p.m.

Subject: A story about Fr. Theo:

Story about Fr, Theo:

I remember Fr. Theo too.

He was quite popular with the boys.

Almost everybody liked him, even though he was in charge of administering discipline during his tenure at the Abbey School .

He was at the Mount from approximately 1966 to 1968.

I think Jan is right, about him being run-off from Holland to cool-off at the Abbey.

He was a parish priest there and I think he got into some kind of woman problem.

The reason he came to the Mount is that, I think, he was related to one of the monks there, maybe Fr. Gregory (?) (aka "El Pato" or "the Duck").

He didn't wear the same Order of St. Benedict white robes with the hood that the rest of the Mt St. Benedict monks wore.

He had a different kind of white robe with a white sash.

Fr. Theo sure brought several new things to the Mount.

He was quite progressive in his thinking, having been out in the real world, as opposed to the monks at the Abbey.

Among them, his sermons were a hoot.

He would give the best and most practical sermons at the Mount.

They were worth listening to.

He had a lot of common sense and plenty of good advice for the boys.

Not just merely religious liturgical stuff, but also on everyday things.

He also liked to drink..Scotch Whiskey was his favourite.

I remember at times he was borderline drunk and his alcohol breath was strong too...

One of his most important contributions to the boys at the Mount is that he actually opened up our social life a bit.

After he arrived to the Mount, all of a sudden we would have get-together parties with the St. Scholastica Girls Academy down in nearby town of St. Joseph 's, down the hill.

This was a girls' secondary boarding school administered by the Benedictine Order of Nuns.

It was supposedly considered our "sister" school but we never really interacted with them until Fr. Theo arrived, that is.

After Fr, Theo arrived, suddenly there were more social get-together with the girls of that school.

He started that trend.

Imagine that! Schoolgirls visiting us at the Mount.!

Before that, the only girls our age we ever saw were if homebody's sister came up to visit on Sundays or during parent's day or something.

Other than that, nothing!

Fr. Theo, being more progressive and worldly, saw the need for the boys to occasionally mingle and interact with the opposite sex.

So, next we had some actual parties (we called them "Fetes") at the Mount, with dancing on the basketball court.

With slow-dancing and all! WOW! That was something new...

The School would organise these dances and sometimes rent a steel-band to come up and play.

At other times we had the Mount's own home-grown rock-band which would beat out a semi-decent rendition of some songs. (I remember Phillip Laughlin was one of the vocals).

The priests and the nuns would then sit on the side-lines, sipping a soft-drink and watch us like a bunch of buzzards.

It didn't matter, as long as we could dance with the girls was enough.

We all had our favourites and we competed and strutted like peacocks to do out best to impress the girls...just like boys at that age are won´t to do.

Great times...

Fr. Theo left the Mount and returned to Holland in 1968.

Attila Gyuris

Abbey School 1964-1969

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Gmail Jan <jankoenraadt@gmail.com> wrote:

Nigel,

My compliments for your idea and realisation and all your efforts in creating the database of MSB Old Boys!

For everybody it will suit fine, for some maybe not right now but in due time they will discover how it will be handy..

Even my corrections I brought in the last day are taken into the file. Great job!

I still do remember a father Theo who is not in the database.

He came as a priest from Holland to the Mount to help out at the Abbey School .

I think he came about halfway 1966.

I heard he died in 1972.

Vaguely I remember that he probably was kicked out of the church in Holland because he didn't fit in and that he was advised to make himself useful at MSB.

I am not sure about this.

He brought in some modern ideas.

For example, in addition to the black and honours list, he created a court with a lawyer and a judge.

I was his first guinea-pig.

Somebody had stolen my marble in my locker.

So I shouted "who stole my locker".

The prefect put me on the blacklist.

That case I had to defend in court.

I didn't even know what I was accused of.

The result was I had to write lines in studies for the rest of the term.

This was all father Theo.

Maybe you recognise the system, guilty until proven innocent.

Father Theo offered me to appeal, but I didn't know what the word appeal meant at that time.

So I said no thanks.

But a week later I heard how heavy the penalty was.

But then it was too late for an appeal.

I hated this father Theo for this very much later on.

The judge only shouted at me.

Because I had no decent reply in my favor I was convicted.

It took me years to discover that it was the other way around, innocent until proven guilty, you don't have to testify against yourself, you have the right to remain silent, that sort of thing.

They should have taught us these things.

When I was a student in Holland , I tried it out and went to court for a parking ticket.

You won't believe it, two times I succeeded.

In one case I got free because there was a parking forbid sign at the road, but the police could not produce the order of the county to put the sign there.

Therefore the sign was illegal, in fact that was anarchy of the police. Ha ha.

But if you want to add father Theo, these are my thoughts about him.

On the other hand, he would let us smoke in the toilet, and when saying mass I got the host twice, he didn't care.

Bit funny man, almost a prelude to Woodstock .

Wish he had thought us how to appeal in court for a parking ticket instead.

Much greetings

Jan Koenraadt

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: Donald Goddard

Date: Mon, 15 Jul 21:41:43 -0700

Hola Ladislao:

Te voy a escribir esta nota en Trinitario pa hecha vainas.

First of all, please send me dee Mount website and email addresses of them "Mount

Boys" who was der between 1953 and 1958.

I takin dee liberty of copying my brudas and Urbano on this note since I bin keepin in touch with Urbano on and off for years.

When we did live in Caracas the Venezuelan contingency of jodedores would meet every month (almost).

Dee lot included Urbano, Isaias, Castro brothers(Pedro, Reinaldo, Timino), Lipapski, Gerardo Most (elias Csabita), Pradita, Myron Lew, Kiskemeti, Azie Atela, and a few more I cyant recall right now.

In fact, Fada Bernard (elias Bobo) made it to Venezuela on a couple of occasions in dose ole days to join we for dinner.

About five years ago in Maracaibo I ran into a lawyer named Echeverria who tole me he went to Mount.

I was just dong der a few weeks ago and I had lunch wid Myron in Caracas.

I called Isaias Facheg and spoke wid he.

Dat fella does be a bisy docta and he gettin ole fa so.

Urbano was out of dee country so I didn't see he.

I livin in Baton Rouge and have bin here for 12 years now.

Brian still livin in Valencia, and Christian been in Oklahoma now for more dan turtee years.

When I saw Myron in Caracas he mentioned dat he visited Mount last year wid one of his sons.

He tole me dat dee place was run dong and almost abandun.

I heard dat in dee later years dee place became a drug rehab center.

Dee jail,on dee hill finally turned into someting useful.

Anyway, I does be workin at LSU doin petroleum research an lookin for oil in Louisiana.

Perhaps, Christian and Brian will update you for dee newsletter, but dem not as verbose as me so I doubt it.

My university email is dgodda1@lsu.edu

Anyway, it's a pleasure gettin in touch wid ya.

Best wishes,

Don Goddard

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

9 of September

Hola Ladislao:

Me parece el Circular algo muy divertido y me encanta leerlo porque nos

permite recordar aquellos bellos tiempos de nuestra juventud.

Tengo algunos comentarios de manera de "feedback" a tu ultimo Circular.

Christian goza una bola con mis jodederas pero como geĆ³logo que soy "I like making sport."

Hare mis comentarios en Ingles "porcia" quieres divulgar mis observaciones.

1) I would very much like to get in touch with Peter Morvay so if you have his email please send it.

2) I must admit that the Mount web site is an excellent piece of work. Hoooooowever, it should be updated at least once a week. Last June, the last update, was many months away. Since most of us are a bunch of old farts, four month is a mighty long time. For example, it's time to place the photo of the Corcorsart family, and the one of you and Matias in the "old photos" category and add some new photos in this section.

3) Wayne Brown's "Waiting For It" (part one) is very confusing and difficult to follow. He said in many many beautiful words what could have been said in the following manner: "My dear Patty, what seems to be your problem?? Oh my god Brian, I fear a hurricane coming this way." I suppose that next week he will describe in detail in about five pages how the hurricane flattened their house. Since Wayne's style is very poetic and verbose, I plan to read the next chapter even if it takes me three days to read and figure out the hell he's trying to say.

Best wishes to all.

Donald Goddard

------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: Christian Goddard

Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 4:42 PM

Hello Tony,

I was at Mount from 1953 to 1959 when I left to go to school in The States.

My brothers Brian and Donald had left a year earlier.

I presently live in Edmond, Oklahoma.

I have been enjoying the web site and thought that I would share some old photos that I had scanned into my computer.

Mount Class.jpg: This is probably the class of 1961 or 1962 but photo taken in 59.

Bottom Row, left to right: Pablo Fiquera; Jacques DeVerteuil; ?; Raymond Ho; ?; Brent Gonsalves; Roberto Savorgnan;

Geoffrey (Big Head) Ames

Mid Row, L to R: Christian Goddard; ?; Geovanni Marini; ?; ?; ?; ?; ?; ?; Eden Hutton

Back Row, L to R: Rug Head Agustine; ????????; far right: David Dacosta

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Sorry for the delay, but I am doing remodelation to my home and it is getting rough for me to stay up too date.

Ladislao, Ed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to the photo section.

57CG0001CGOSHE, Christian Goddard and Stuart Henderson.

08LK0024AAT, Azier Atela at dinner in Caracas.

08EZ0589ESMERALDAGRP, Alfredo Montiel, Oscar Cantore, Victor Zanelli, Carlos Dvorak, Enrique Zanelli, UNKNOWN

57UN0002FILBVI, Fr. Ildefonse, Bro. Vincent etc.






No comments: