Saturday 12 July 2008

Circular No 349





Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 12 July 2008 No. 349

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends

Some more hash on HIPPIES FROM THE SIXTIES.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: mckoy43glen@hotmail.com

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 18:43:49 +0000

Hello out there - aziz call me, he bored. - ok we back on - action pack- tales from the Mount.-

Remember:

Volley ball at night, under the lights.

Dances with the Vene girls in St Joseph.

Throwing stones at opposing team bus if they beat we in cricket or football.

Making wild cat calls at any females we see anywhere love at first sight, in some cases looks didn't have much to do with it.

A soft drink you would not buy any where else.

I got a warning not to be hanging out where the young ladies were studying to become nuns.(none for me)

If you were not on the swimming team , then you might be in the back seat of car kissing some girl you just meet.

Any excuse to go and see the nurse.

Best swimmers in the country.

Johnny Gracia saves two drowning people in the sea/ he was so fast /Jimmy Samaroo also

Wild man Tim Healy catch big snake, sells to London Zoo I think $100.

Remember:

Mount Lockdown/Black power uprising in the country./no where to run/we were there

Rumors are: rebels suppose to be coming from the mountains behind us riot mobs suppose to be coming up the hill, Trini army on its way to the Mount

Vene boys scared however their government sends two planes to get them with soldiers.

Joe Azaz our #1 scout (big respect goes out to this guy) have to help Trini top army find their way thru the mountains.

All for one and and one for all in prayer because we think we dead now.

Its all history now and we all survived.

Old boy Bernard Lange come up to teach

Mackintosh: One of my favourite teachers, great style of teaching, unfortunately I had to spend some classes standing outside the class, affected some of my spelling as you can see. Good calypso singer also.

Running away on the weekends to see a movie down the hill, they should ah put a traffic light on that track the amount of people up and down.

Did Cutty ever sleep, if you were planning a night escape don't do it on Cutty watch.

Carchapa finds keys for the Kitchen, need friend who is not scared to get expelled if caught but will go because food is involved, never get caught and I think cachapa still have keys.

I told Cutty the story about 10 years after, he just looked at me, kinda half smile.

Assam and Alloy(mono) Garner, member of parrot troop/ never with out food, if we suppose to have 2 tins of beans, well we would have about 5 tins of beans, some other poor campers, would have to go with out, this practise continued for about two world jamborees, Cutty didn't have to worry about us, and if he needed extra supplies he had an idea where it might be.

Parrot troop always with a big smile.

Glen / passing out not. later........Aziz

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Rafael Echeverría

Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:22:23 PM

Hear! Hear! for Glen Mckoy !!!

Glen... my man ! ... you really show the best of you and make the best of others zoom out!

Thank you Glen for your words in favour of "silent heroism" and silent heroes.

As I have been telling all the Mount Boys I can, I have been working on the idea of Mount Boys Chronicles.... and your emails are filled with stories and anecdotes all the time .. and recognitions for those who have done so much for all of us ... that's just great.

So you are a musician as well ?

Well... just yesterday I met with some friends from Maracaibo, Venezuela, my old home town, we had a good "descarga" (JAM !!!) we went all the way through Beatles and Rolling Stones... Steppenwolf ... some other stuff ... .

I used to play with these guys many years ago in a group called BLONDER (that was after my Mount Times with "Chains" with Norman Smith .... "Forminks" in England ... "Zumo" in Venezuela ,,, my most recent experiment for 12 years !!! ... I've been around you know... ). So .... we had a GREAT TIME yesterday afternoon ... 3 hours ... digging it ... and I am so happy for the blisters on my fingers ... I got all the "dust" out. I play the bass .... Fender Precision Plus... prototype. A real "train".

We are planning to have a presentation around May or June here in Florida, I believe it will be in Weston City ... not sure yet.

I would like so much to take those guys to Trinidad.

My God ! That would be a great celebration.

I have also been in contact with Glen Evelyn our common Mount Boy mate who lives here in Florida as well (also a musician and guitar luthier !!! .. as a hobby !!!) ... he is now in the Middle East on professional duties and will be returning in about 40 days ... his lovely wife Dawn called me to let me know.

Glen has his workshop in Ft. Lauderdale, very close to my home.

So I will be visiting with him for sure and hope to get some guys together and JAM ! ....

Some day ... some day ... I will go to Australia ... what a beautiful folk music you guys have out there ! ... I mean ... down under ... JA JA !!!! ... what a great rock 'n roll you've made ... Men At Work is the best example ... I know there are many others of the 60's but I particularly like Men At Work ... I find there rock n' roll is ... shall I say .. so "raw" ... their "playing" sound simple but they get such a great product man ! Incredible !

You know ... this is soooo great ... to meet people like this.

How can anyone not feel proud.

I mean .. honestly proud of forming a part of such a great experience of having been a border student of The Abbey School of Mt. Saint Benedict.

We learnt so much about life and people. About ourselves. And here we are ... 20...30 .. 40 ... years later ... talking to each other and enjoying our lives ! ... and seeing how all have progressed ... have children... grandchildren .... come one ! ... Isn't that just great ?

How cool can that be ? (as my younger son would say) I STILL learn so much .... sooo much ... about you all and from you all. GOD Bless you all man .... you are all sooo cool.

Un Abrazo .. Siempre Amigo !!!!

CheChe ...

PS .. Hey ... I have got some fantastic anecdotes from Salvador Coscarat and have contacted Atilla Gyuris ... he already sent some photos with his Father .... the first day at Mount .... it reminded me of how sacred I was at that moment myself .... Gabriel Hoeffle and Paul Keschkemeti are also in the photograph ... . JAJAJAJAAJ .. incredible !!! ... It's GOLD !!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Glen Mckoy

Sunday, February 10, 2008 12:26:02 PM

Gentlemen:

Today we recognise two outstanding individuals.

I know as a fact these guys have been doing this for about 30 years or more.

Years in the official way with the consultant help of our elders like Fr. Cutbert and Mr. Jon Golding and others ?? in the background.

These men have a life and families but have always made time to see this moment we are experiencing right now, for them it must bring a special joy as I see your names on the list, don't think we the Hippies from the Sixties are not noting your accomplishments and failures.

Standing on guard when the the wall of Rome are being burnt.

I do hope this puts a smile on our dear father Cuthbert face, be prepared no tears please, but smiles of joy. with out rambling as always lets take our hats off for: the unsung heroes, the unseen work, the believe this day would come like it or not.

Thank you - thank you - thank you- raise the flag on white stones today o.k

Mr. Winston Ramsahai and Mr. Joseph Berment of course their are others, which these gentlemen will have to name.

Requesting on behalf of the hippies from the sixties:-

An official thank you from the Godfather of the circular and the List Maker will be appreciated.

One for all and all for one. G#1,TARZAN, G#2, aziz,G#3and everybody.........o.k yuh could start the party again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: Art & Val Knaggs av_knaggs@hotmail.com

Sent: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 5:03 pm

Dear Ladislao,

In a bulletin a few weeks ago (while I was in Toronto) you had a list of very Old Boys from my time, but somehow I deleted it before I got the names down, but know where I can get hold of a good few of them, if you could please copy and send that list to me I will endeavour to do some research on them, and let you have the info.

Great news on the New Old Boys Association Project, as we all seemed to have obtained a fabulous outlook on life, a great,very balance lifestyle, and lots of variety and exposure to all kinds of extra curricular activities for those who seeked them.

I really wish them great success, as I know all the Priests and Teachers whose dream and hope for us it was, will be smiling from above.

Via con Dios,

Art

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From: Art & Val Knaggs <av_knaggs@hotmail.com>

Date: February 12, 2008 3:38:22 PM GMT-05:00

Subject: RE: pics from Toronto trip

Masterful, and a pleasure to be an active part of it all (love and belonging - 2 of the basic 4).

Thanks for always being in touch, such a friend, and we hope to visit Bdos end of April & part of May; will go through T& T first and touch our Clan there.

All else fine,

Art

P.S. Do you remember when the Abbey School was founded?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

From:shadowlawn@caribsurf.com
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 20:58:24 -0400

Dear Arthur:

I will airmail to you for Nigel a fairly comprehensive history on beginnings of MSB CIRCA 1911.

"Abbey in the Caribbean" is name of booklet written by Marie de Boissiere.

Is this ok with you?

CECIL

----- Original Message --------------------------------------------------------

From:Art & Val Knaggs

Sent:Wednesday, February 06, 2008 2:53 PM

Nigel,

A couple of photos of when we met in Toronto a few days ago ( the two of us and also with wives.

Got hold of Trevor Soodeen (45/53), very bright student and 100 yds Champ in his heyday (no E-Mail).

Also had a chat with Trevor Evelyn while there.

All went well at Val's Mum's Funeral, and we were blessed as all six of our Children arrived from all over, so we had a fabulous Family Reunion. "Out of sadness commeth joy" saith The Lord.

I am fully recovered and even shovelling snow (big storm in Toronto & two since we are back in Nova Scotia; all in moderation of course).

Keep in touch, and I will dig into the archives of some of the my-timers (many are fading away).

I will ask Fr. Cuthie to give us the actual date that the College started, for your records, and like your idea of a short self-profile of each of us writing for the benefit of others (kind of hard to precis all those years, way back when).

Keep up the good work.

Our group up here may choose the name Royal Canadian Mounties (but that is encroaching on ethical rights)

As ever

Arturo (Scroongie)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Don Mitchell CBE QC

Saturday, February 9, 2008 9:59:12 PM

Hello Brian and Jon,

We already have eight active blogs going.

Very few "old boys" use them.

Check out the MSB website and you will see that only Jon has as recently as a couple of days ago sent comments on the latest Circular, No 327: http://abbeyschool2008circulars.blogspot.com/.

All the blogs are open. Any one can post a comment. Of course, I moderate them to ensure no spam is actually published.

Don

----- Original Message ---------------------------------------------------

From: "Jon Golding" <jongolding@wow.net>

Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2008 9:15 PM

Nigel/Don/Ladislao

Brian's suggestion is an excellent one!

We are now getting MSB SPAM of little interest to our community at large.

However well intentioned the writers are, and most of us are not as fortunate as Don (to be comfortably retired and contented looking as he is!), we need to get back to Ladislao and Don's competent management of the circle in a relaxed and ad hoc way.

These latest mails are downtime distractions while we are still guarding our time to make a living.

I agree that a website blog (which is very easy and sometimes even a free add-on to whatever service the MSB site subscribes) IS the place to transact this social networking.

The good news is that people are awakened and participating, but it's not for everybody!

Not sure who is the poor fellow to organise this so I am copying Don and Ladislao too.

Let me know if you need any more input from me.

Best regards and to Brian.

Jon

----- Original Message --------------------------------------------------------

From: "Brian Lewis" <brian@aclaworks.com>

Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2008 4:01 PM

Nigel

May I suggest that a blog be set up on the web site for old boys who want to write about issues.

This would mean that we are not included in receiving the endless drivel of e-mail interchange that we have experienced over the Carnival.

Apparently a number of old boys have now asked to have their names removed.

Notices and so forth can be sent out without everyone's e-mail address being published in the way that it is now done.

I am copying this to Jon Golding because I think he is well versed to understand what needs to be done in this regard.

Finally this e-mail is not for publication, please!

Brian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------.

On Feb 9, 2008, at 12:11 PM, Nigel P. Boos wrote:

Gentlemen,

Bernard Johnson has asked us to remove his email address from the MSB database.

Please would you do so.

Thanks.

Nigel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

RE: RV: Las maravillas de la naturaleza!!!! GOD THE ARTIST

Glen Mckoy

Friday, March 14, 2008 12:14:47 PM

Hello Edgar,

How are you man,? thank you for your input .

Your brother Elloy was always good to me, he was one of my close Vene. friends, he was a few years older than me, he spoke to me like a mature person, and didn't treat me like a kid, and he could speak English very good.

I am pretty sure he was in top 5 best Volley ball player on the mount. correct. , Man any time I spoke to Elloy, he always made a joke, he was always such a happy go lucky guy.

He would say to me "How are you Mister MCKOY , I am sorry but any time I think of him I smile.

I hardly spoke to you, not much.

Man you were always so serious.

We did play in the scout band together, I am pretty sure you were the lead drummer??

I played a cornet/trumpet, I glad I stop playing that.

I think we played when the Queen came to Trinidad , and the sun was so hot, remember man., Hudson , Assam, Alloy, It was our first year in the scout band, we were like 12 or 13 yrs old.

What fond memories.

I love you man, thank you, and god bless, One of your little brothers,

Glen McKoy..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

That is for now, till the next one

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

72HM0017HMABAND, Mckoys and Wayne Hacket, band

08UN0009DINNER CCS, Dinner in Caracas., Kendrick Allum, Ladislao Kertesz, Jose Manuel Prada, Pedro Castro, Urbano Fedak

67JK0002 Firstclassbadge, This is page two of a collectible item.

03BG0001BGOGRP, Davis de Verteuil, Richad Galt, Brian Goddard

No comments: