Saturday 26 July 2008

Circular No 351




Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 26 July 2008 No.351
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Although this Circular is of interest to Classes 1968-1969, I have included it to let you know the investigative process that we spend in the interest to clarify not only names but periods during which these students spent at the Mount.
It is very sad that the ARCHIVES have been misplaced by the then authorities of The Abbey School, through mismanagement.
This is one of the “WHY” reason that lead to the demise of the School, it can happen to the best institutions, when there are no professional administrators in charge.
I personally hope that what is left of the Landmark Mount does not run the same fate, with the only hope that finally a competent administrator is placed in charge to salvage what has not been given away. (I pray to God that a successfully “retired” administrator would make himself available)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Need list of names of the Form V Class 1968-1969
Gmail Jan
Saturday, February 9, 2008 3:19:46 PM
Dear Ladislao,
About Dennis Gurley #9 in the picture below I have doubts.
I made a compilation Three brothers Gurley who is who.jpg of the three class pictures. Only one if them is Dennis Gurley and they don't look the same. If in the other picture Form II 1965 is already Dennis Gurley, who is #9 below? That is why I left out the "Dennis". Maybe you can send my compilation for clarification to the Dennis Gurley from the reunion 2007 where he stands together with Richard Anderson?
# 10 has been stated by me and Attila Gyuris that he is NOT Josh Schoemaker.
This snap from the picture from Attila Gyuris is Josh Schoemaker in 1965, Attila and Andres and I were able to establish contact with him again last December.
About #15 Steve Anderson I have doubts. I think it is not him.
I got from you the picture PrepB1963noo[1].jpg from which I snapped this picture of Steve Anderson in 1963. This one I recognize as Steve Anderson and he looks different than #15 in the picture above. I also remember that the real Steve Anderson left Mount somewhere halfway. I remember he came back later in time driving his own car and boasted about it " . . . if you see the car eat road . . .". At that time he made a major impression to us with it.
I also think #15 in the picture above is not Steve Anderson because there was something going on in that class. Steve Anderson was a dominant boy even for older boys. He formed a gang with Philip Laughlin, Derek Fakoory and Gurley and they ruled the playgrounds. If you look at the class picture above, the gang-boys #7 Philip Laughlin, #9 Gurley and #12 Derek Fakoory who dominate the class are in the heart of the picture. Everybody else is gathered around them. If Steve Anderson was still there he would not accept to stand at a backward place as #15 does. He would stand up front and straight and be the boss. I think therefore Steve Anderson was not at the Mount anymore in Form II 1966 and #15 is not Steve Anderson.
About #35, I don't recognize Stanley Achong myself but Attila Gyuris stated he is Stanley Achong.
Hope I helped you out with this.
Greetings Jan Koenraadt
----- Original Message ---------------------------------------------------------------
From:ladislao kertesz
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2008 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: Need list of names of the Form V Class 1968-1969
Dear Jan,
I am suggesting the following corrections, can you confirm.
I must confess that I have not revised your meticulous desertion but I need you to discard my annotation if I am wrong.
God Bless
Ladislao
----- Original Message ---------------------------------------------------------.
From: Gmail Jan <jankoenraadt@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2008 7:25:18 PM
Subject: Re: Need list of names of the Form V Class 1968-1969
Dear Ladislao,
To check out the list correctly I had to reconstruct the situation for myself with the three class pictures one from myself and two which I got from you earlier:
- 1965 Form II class with names.jpg
- 63UN0001CLASS1968 Prep B 1968-jk.jpg
- The Abbey School Form II 1966 from Rosero CAPTIONED-jk.jpg
For good order I attach these pictures because I completed or rewrote the names with comments or remarks from emails I received before.
I tried to reconstruct the names of Prep B 1962- 1963 in attached Word doc Reconstructing names Prep B 1962-1963.doc
To show how I got the names of my attached class picture 1965 Form II class with names.jpg I made a scan of the backside of that picture 1965 Form II class with names back side.jpg where I wrote the names from memory somewhere around 1971.
In attached Excel file Reconstruction Form V 1969.xls I made a sort of database who was in what year in which form all based on comments from others I received by earlier email. Now it is just a matter of I believe proper guessing in this Excel file who was exactly in Form V between September 1968 - July 1969.
I made some comments on the list in Word CLASS 1969 names from xls.doc but Form II is missing why the sequence is not right. That's why I made the Excel spreadsheet.
This is all meant for the attempt to reconstruct the boys who were in class Form V graduating July 1969.
Greetings from Jan Koenraadt
----- Original Message -------------------------------------------------------
From:ladislao kertesz
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 5:56 PM
Subject: Re: Need list of names of the Form V Class 1968-1969
Dear Jan,
please check out this list.
God Bless
Ladislao
----- Original Message --------------------------------------------------------
From: Gmail Jan <jankoenraadt@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 6, 2008 7:56:15 AM
Subject: Re: Need list of names of the Form V Class 1968-1969
Dear Attila,
I am very pleased to receive from you such a clear picture of you and Josh Shoemaker. It solves the discussion who he really is, as he was spotted on other pictures by some while others call that it is not him. The picture you send of you at the pool in with a cap on, I recognise the boy on the right of you (closest to the camera) indeed as Josh Shoemaker. Because he also spoke Dutch he was my closest friend in my first two years.
About reconstructing the list of names of the class Form V 1968-1969, I left the Abbey School in the summer of 1967, so I cannot be of much help. Except that four names in your list were students in my class from 1963-1967, namely
3) Lindsay Moffat
4) Paul Quesnel
10) Charles Devaux
11) Douglas Watson
This could only be possible if they failed exams in summer 1967 or 1968 and stayed behind one year.
Apart from you and Josh Schoemaker I also remember 12) Phillip Laughlin as being one class lower than me.
Not in your list below, also Derek Fakoory, Steve Anderson, Edgehill (nickname "hot ...."), Dennis Girley were one class below me, so if they didn't fail their exams or left Mount earlier, they were in class 1968-1969.
Hope this will help you,
Much greetings Jan Koenraadt
----- Original Message ---------------------------------------------------------------
From:Attila GYURIS
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2008 10:00 PM
Subject: Need list of names of the Form V Class 1968-1969
Andres, Specs and all:
No doubt about the dates of the 1963-1968 class snapshot, however...
It is interesting to note that some (but not all, as some didn't finish at the Mount), of these boys ended in Form V with me in school year 1968-1969.
So, I wonder if it should be the class of 1963-1969?
On another note,
I wonder if anybody (perhaps Fr. Cuthbert) have a picture or at least an old list of names for the 1968-1969 Form V class?
Maybe we could come together and make up the list? I think it would an interesting little project. Some of those boys in these early class pictures made it to all the way to Form V, others dropped out, and other boys enrolled in school later.
OK, I will start with some names, (as memory serves me):
Please, everybody, add names to the list , or correct the list as necessary....
1968-1969 Form V Class:
1) Andres Larsen
2) Attila Gyuris
3) Lindsay Moffat
4) Paul Quesnel,
5) Josh Schoemacher
6) Stanley Achong
7) Fulvio Cantore
8) Michael D'Ornellas
9) Roberto Mezzana
10) Charles Devaux
11) Douglas Watson
12) Phillip Laughlin
13) Charles Devaux
who else?????
Cheers,
Attila Gyuris
MSB 1964-1969
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Michael D' Ornellas <michael@elchicoeggs.com> wrote:
Dear Andres,
You are correct, #17 is me and #11 is Peter Quesnel.
Happy New Year,
Specs.
-----Original Message----------------------------------------------
From: Andres Larsen [mailto:andres_larsen@yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2008 11:41 AM
Subject: A small respectful comment on your PHOTO of CLASS end of 1968
Dear Ladislao,
Small observation there for you: 8 and 11 can´t both simultaneously be Paul Quesnel, besides both chaps definitely look different from each other.
I still firmly believe 17 is Michael D´Ornellas (alias "Specs") but without his trademark spectacles squinting into the camera.
I don´t recall exactly if Michael D´Ornellas was in the Class of 1963-1968 but that both you and Michael have a better grip on than me. I always thought Specs was in our Class of 1964-1969, but then again I might be wrong on that one.
When are you posting the snapshots taken by Brother Felix at our dinner November 22th?
Probably us few participants, including you, Father Rupert, Brother Felix, Myron Lew, alias "Nazi" and wife, and me, are looking forward to that issue.
Kind regards
Andrés Larsen
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Dear Ladislao,
I recognise several names in your table who were with me in my class between 1963-1967.
I entered MSB in September 1963 starting fresh in Form I.
To me Form I was from September 1963 – July 1964.
I know that before my time the school year was from January to December as my elder brothers followed that course.
But I don’t know exactly in what year the change was to September-July.
I have a mail from Nigel Boos that he graduated Form V in December 1960.
So the change must be between December 1960 and September 1963.
These names of the boys above I don’t remember or recognize, except
Echeverria, Rafael
I know him, he was an older boy to me in a higher class. He indeed could be Class graduating 1967 or earlier, but I am not sure. In the picture below of Class1967 #1 comes closest to him, but I am not sure. From Sep 1963-Jul 1964 he indeed must have been in at least Form II.
Thomas, Larry
I know him, he was an older boy to me in a higher class. He indeed could be Class graduating 1967 or earlier, but I am not sure. In the picture below of Class1967 #14 comes closest to him but not so young, I am not sure. I remember him taller and 25% fatter. From Sep 1963-Jul 1964 he indeed must have been in at least Form II. His kid-brother Richard was in my class. I went one weekend with them to their parent’s home in Trinidad, and to the movie A Fanatstic Voyage in a theatre in Port of Spain.
Fr. Theo Kloeg
I know him. I believe he arrived at MSB in the middle of 1966. According to Attila Gyuris he left MSB in 1968. There are recent comments on him from me, Attila Gyuris and Oscar Cantore. As I read these comments about father Theo, he indeed accomplished a revolution at MSB. Can you imagine a whole school of girls visiting the Abbey School and dancing with the boys on the basketball court of the Abbey School?
About the boys in Prep A Sep 1962 – Jul 1963 there is a class picture 63UN0001CLASS1968 Prep A.jpg
About the boys in Form II Sep 1964 – Jul 1965 there is a class picture 65UN0001CLASS1968 Form II.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Sorry for the delay, but I am remodelling my home and it is getting rough for me to stay upto date.
Ladislao, Ed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now to the photo section.
63UN0001CLASS1968 Prep A 080211, taken 1963, can you help?
65UN0002CLASS1968plus Form II. class, Taken in 1965, can you help?




No comments: